• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best smartphone bird news service for uk birder? (1 Viewer)

thomasbarker81

This may have been asked before but can any Uk birders suggest which of the two main bird news services in UK for my smartphone is better? Looking at website RBA seems more "professional" but it is more expensive than equivalent birdguides service

Thanks,

Tom

It may depend on what phone you have and how fast you want to get any news. The birdguides app is poor for Android as it does not give you notifications when important news arrives so you have to keep looking. Rba let's you choose what notifications you want so you will get news quicker so this is what I have. I also have birdnet Twitter feed which seems ok of late after previously making lots of mistakes. I tried birdguides but the lack of notifications on Android was a deal breaker

It may depend on what phone you have and how fast you want to get any news. The birdguides app is poor for Android as it does not give you notifications when important news arrives so you have to keep looking. Rba let's you choose what notifications you want so you will get news quicker so this is what I have. I also have birdnet Twitter feed which seems ok of late after previously making lots of mistakes. I tried birdguides but the lack of notifications on Android was a deal breaker

I use the BirdGuides app for Android and agree with the above. However, I also subscribe to the BirdGuides email alert service which I can divert to my smartphone whilst away from home. I get a notification each time a message comes through and it uses a minimal amount of my monthly data allowance. Highly recommended!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back