• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 UK Ichneumon identification please (1 Viewer)

micronesia

Hi,

I found these two Ichneumon on seperate days in the last week.
I think I can identify them from my insect books, but the web is very confusing and throws up more questions than answers. I know Ichneumon ID is a tricky one, but any help would be great.

Ichneumon suspiciosus, I think?
Ichneumon A.png

Ichneumon stramentarius, possibly?
Ichneumon B.png

I don't think they are safely ID-able from pictures.
I don't know how many Ichneumoninae species you have in British Isles (I guess - few hundred), but at least in Latvian context I have found them extremely difficult to ID even when I was able to examine a caught specimens under binoculars etc.
Surely the spring date does eliminate bunch of species, but even with that in mind I would still hesitate to call them anything 100%..

Cheers!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back