• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please advise on computer bird listing tools (1 Viewer)

rar

I'm not technologically blessed, just as a starting point. What I hope to be able to do is to input my life list into some program that could then tell me the best places to go to fill in the gaps, i.e., which location in Central America would provide the best chance of seeing the most birds that are missing on my life list.

Could anyone out there help me with this goal? Thanks.

What you are asking is computationally quite a significant challenge (if the answer is to be any use).What level of granularity are you thinking of here? Countries? But knowing that you could add 350 species from a trip to Brazil wouldn't help you in planning a trip to see them. It's much too large a country to assume you could do all of them in one trip. And maybe some of them only occur in a small corner that you'd travel three days to get to. A trip to one small area of Peru may allow you to add a potential 200 species much more realstically... But what kind of data would the program be using? Checklists where a bird that has been seen once in 20 years is counted in the same way as one that would be difficult to miss? I'm just trying to explain why I think what you are asking for is fairly complicated to do well.

The next best thing you can then hope for is something that allows you to enter your lifelist, and then check how many birds you might be able to add in some area that you define. While I don't have any personal experience with Avibase (suggested by Niels) it seems to offer tools that would help you.

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back