• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID this bird (1 Viewer)

Knowing were it was taken would help - its clearly a large Kingfisher..

Looks a bit like a Female Pied Kingfisher... though perhaps should have more white in the tail?

Jane Turner said:
Knowing were it was taken would help - its clearly a large Kingfisher..

Looks a bit like a Female Pied Kingfisher... though perhaps should have more white in the tail?

Hi Jane, this was taken in Southeast Michigan USA.

Thanks......Cal

even though i'm a newb, i could agree that it is a belted kingfisher, on the other hand it could be a woodpecker, (the angle of the photo prevents any real look at the bill).

I'd say Belted Kingfisher...

Male Belted Kingfisher. Nice photo. Saw a female belted Kingfisher here in Campeche, Mexico yesterday. She was perching on a rock jetty and fishing in the Ocean.

Cal, what a great shot. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of a kingfisher from *beneath* while in flight. I know I'd never be able to get a shot like that, they're so *fast*!

Question: The bright white "window panes" on the wings -- are they transparent? Since the entire ventral side of the bird is in shadow, these are sure brilliant compared to the other white plumage. They seem too symmetrical to be a molt.

Katy Penland said:
Cal, what a great shot. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of a kingfisher from *beneath* while in flight. I know I'd never be able to get a shot like that, they're so *fast*!

Question: The bright white "window panes" on the wings -- are they transparent? Since the entire ventral side of the bird is in shadow, these are sure brilliant compared to the other white plumage. They seem too symmetrical to be a molt.

Hi Katy, I was taking pictures of gulls in flight and was quite surprised when I got home and found this guy among the pictures.......The bright white area on the wings are not transparent.....Thanks, Cal

cal said:
Hi Katy, I was taking pictures of gulls in flight and was quite surprised when I got home and found this guy among the pictures.

Makes me feel better. I've seen them fly over very fast. Getting a shot like this would take incredible timing and luck. Great.

bob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back