• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Me Identify This Raptor (1 Viewer)

Jim Creek

I'm rather new to birding and am having trouble identifying this hawk. Can anyone help? The shot was taken in S.E. Wisconsin in a park setting.

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 269
looks like a juvenile (1st year) Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii, got the long tail, thin dark streaks on chest and legs of a cooper's.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree on it being Cooper's. Pattern on underside and the long tail rule out imm. Sharp-shinned. The pattern of imm. Goshawk is rather similar (but still possible to differentiate) but it has heavier and shorter legs (and general jizz incl. tail).

Last edited:
Cooper's Hawk:14-20" (36-51 cm). W. 28" (71 cm). A crow-sized hawk, with long tail and short rounded wings. Adult slate-gray above, with dark cap, and finely rust-barred below. Immature brown above, whitish below with fine streaks. Tail tip rounded, not squared-off.

What do you think of the tail tip? Is it rounded?

Attachments

• BD0089_3l.jpg
    BD0089_3l.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 212
Weather,

Yes, in adult Cooper's the tail-tip is rounded, but it is rather variable in juv's., hence not useful in the individual of the photo. Bird in first thread clearly is a Cooper's...

Last edited:
HAHA, great shot of the birds bum! I am sure this was the only shot available, but it is humorous. I would throw in a vote for Coopers, hard to say from such and anlge really but the legs seem more heavily built then the Sharpie and don't really think it was a Gos. Pick up a copy of Hawks in Flight. This book has been very helpful to me. Now i just gotta work on those warblers!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back