• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey (1 Viewer)

My best attempt at identification is an Adult Male Hen Harrier. Sorry about the image quality but I was a long way from the bird.

Attachments

• male hen harrier.jpg
    male hen harrier.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 447
Hi "Sweepiedog",
Yes,a definite male Hen Harrier,a species which is in trouble here all of a sudden due to the actions of some individuals,all in the name of making a political point!:-(
Has there been any trouble up North with the species?I know that Don Scott has had tree-nesting birds in Antrim for a few years now:this habit hasn't as yet caught on in the Republic or even elsewhere in NI!
Harry

I'm sure you are aware of the population of Hen Harriers just across the water from you Harry. 40+ Breeding pairs on an island our size is pretty damn special (120+ birds at 2 winter roosts). Is it just coincidence that we don't have any 'keepered' moorland?

Hi CJW,
I've always wondered how there could be such a strong population of Hen Harriers on the Isle of Man:presumably you are familiar with the concept that islands tend to have poorer fauna than larger land-masses,and the Isle of Man is quite a bit smaller even than our own relatively small island of Ireland(smaller than any Irish county,in fact!)?
Maybe the species is filling its own niche and that of another species found both here and in Britain,but not on the Isle of Man?
Robins,for example,are rare on Great Saltee,but Sedge Warbler is a common breeding bird:while the latter is common on the mainland as well,it's far less abundant than Robin,and the Sedgies on Saltee nest in every habitat available(very little wet ground on the island,most birds breed in tangles of brambles and bracken,but admittedly I have seen the species breeding in this habitat on coastal headlands alongside Whitethroats and Reed Buntings)
We have no keepered moorland either:in fact,we didn't have a problem with persecution here at all prior to this year,and the species went largely unnoticed by many.Ironically,the fact that certain areas have been proposed as SPA's for the species has led to ill-feeling among the local farmers in these areas,and has resulted in at least one bird being shot to make a point(I should point out that such action may not represent the majority of such hill-farmers)
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back