• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pls help ID Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

Deca

I can't find a good match on my books...sometimes I thing it's a Violet-capped woodnymph or maybe a white-vented Violetar....any ideas?!

Thanks a lot!!

Attachments

• Hummingbird.jpg
    Hummingbird.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 295
Two of the commonest hummingbirds (and no others) in Minas Gerais, Brazil, have a tail that look somewhat like the bird on the photograph.
1) Swallow-tailed Hummingbird (male and female are alike).
2) Violet-capped Woodnymph (male. Female is more sombre in colouration, and doesn't have the forked tail).

Have a look at photographs on these two pages:

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/violet-capped woodnymph.html
http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/swallow-tailed hummingbird.html

Obviously the bird on the photo by Deca isn't adult. The white leg-tufts can be somewhat confusing, as they are found in ad. males of the Woodnymph but not in ad. Swallow-tailed. However, yet again, it's an imm. bird and I have seen juv. Swallow-tailed with white. None of the two species have tufts on the shoulder as adult. So, what then? If looking at the overall jizz, it is clear that it's a Swallow-tailed. Similarly, for a bird with so many imm. features, the tail is to long for it being the Woodnymph. Finally, the shape of the tail and the dept of the fork once again points toward Swallow-tailed (even though it will be much larger when fully grown). So, it's an imm. Swallow-tailed Hummingbird.

When fully adult the two species are easy to seperate both on colours and tail. Also remember that Swallow-tailed is one of the "big" hummers, being much larger than Violet-capped.

I guess Deca got confused by the reddish behind the eye... Be carefull with such "red spots". Sometimes when looking closer I have discovered it was nothing but a red mite! Having said that, both Swallow-tailed & Violet-capped often show such a small patch. The violet patch is very different in White-vented Violetear+tail is totally different.

Added later: Just in case people wonder how the Violetear look, her's a link:

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/white-ventedvioletear.html

Last edited:
Hello Rasmus!

Thank you VERY VERY much for your great help! I was almost giving up !!!

I checked the links you added and it does seem it is a Swallow-tailed :) I am glad it has been ID'ed cause I really like the picture!

Thank you very very much again for spending time on this!

Best regards,
Deca

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back