• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ISRAEL 22 Dec 2014 - 5 Jan 2015 (1 Viewer)

Israel Winter 2014-15: The Grand Tour

Brief Summary:
Night drive from Ben Gurion Airport, Tel Aviv in torrential rain for a one night stay at Kibbutz Gvulot, in the Negev. The plains of the NW Negev next day: 10 Sociable Plovers and Eastern Imperial Eagles and a distant Saker Falcon (wintering).

Then on to the Arava for a two night stay at Kibbutz Lotan. KM20 for the Lesser Flamingo. And a brilliant wheatear and lark show in the Ovda Valley.

North to Kibbutz Kfar Ruppin for 4 nights. Stopped off at Wadi Mishmar, adjacent to the shores of the Dead Sea, er-route and had a surprise Eurasian Eagle Owl (Pharoah's Eagle Owl more likely - crossover region). Massive bird extravaganza in the Be'it Shean Valley including Sociable Plover, Isabelline Shrike, Black-shouldered Kite and Great Bittern. Detour to the superb Gilboa Mts for Kurdish Wheatear and to the Yizre'el Valley, Kfar Baruch Reservoir, for Lesser White-fronted Goose.

Continued my journey north to the awesome Golan Heights for three nights staying with friends at the mythical El Rom. Left it late in the day but managed to connect with one of two Radde's Accentor that chose to roost near the Blueberry Orchard at El Rom. Frequent efforts to see Pine Bunting meant visits to magnificent Mount Hermon and habitats close to Alone Habashan but no definite sighting. Down to the Lower Galilee and Wadi Ahmud searching for Wallcreeper but no sign. Incredible place - 25 years since my last visit. Several stop-offs included visits to the fabled shores of the Sea of Galilee and the banks of the River Jordan.

Then I was on the move again. This time south west to the Harod Valley for four nights at Ein Harod. Excellent day out at Nasholim on the shores of the Eastern mediterranean. And last but not least a visit to Timorim, a little south of Tel Aviv, for the Grey Phalarope before returning to Ben Gurion for my flight home.

Brilliant trip. Really great to see all my friends. Thanks to you all for making it so enjoyable. Can't wait for another helping.
Frank

I really really must do a winter trip, many great birds there I would dearly love to see and many sites mentioned I've never visited before, might have to ask one day where these are.

I might be able to squeeze in another spring trip next year for 10days in mid March but a winter visit would seem like a nice change as well.

Steve and Bubbs,

Winter's a great time to visit. If you get the chance you should definitely give it a whirl.

Cheers

Frank

The wonder of migration. Hard to beat.

Winter is definitely different Bubbs. But it's definitely spectacular. e.g. The Hula or The Be'it Shean Valleys. Huge numbers of birds and amazing sights and sounds. :king:

As you say, however, maybe it can't quite match the incredible phenomenon of spring and autumn migration - when they're in full swing. But let's be honest, it's all pretty spectacular. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back