• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trittiford mill pond and the dingles bird sightings (2 Viewers)

On December 1st Mike Inskip recorded 21 Little Egrets at the Priory Pool. Another record I think.

Des.

I took a quick look around Trittiford yesterday & STW were present with a number of vehicles, tanks, pumps, generators & pipes preventing sewage entering Trittiford. They had been there since Monday. I think I heard a Kingfisher calling.

2w Iceland Gull, 2w Caspian/YL Gull, ad Common Gull, 6 Herring Gulls, 25 LBB Gulls and 12 Cormorant at Swanshurst Park.

No sign of any Waxwings at Windermere Road playing fields car park. The berries being jealousy protected by Song Thrushes.

Des.

This morning's 2w Iceland Gull and probable 2w Caspian/ Y L Gull at Swanshurst Park.

Des.

Attachments

• Casp-YL Gull.jpg
    Casp-YL Gull.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 47
  • Iceland Gull- S P.jpg
    Iceland Gull- S P.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 47
Quick afternoon visit to Trittiford.

The single Pochard and Shoveler pair have moved on and a notable decrease in numbers of commoner woodland species, whilst they go about searching for food in this cold snap.

Of note.
1 Sparrowhawk (f)
1 Argentatus Herring Gull

Hi all

No sign of the shoveler pair today - but a nice couple of pochard 👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 32
2w Iceland Gull, 2w Casp/ Y L Gull, ad Common Gull and Goosander at Swanshurst Pool this afternoon.

Des.

Attachments

• Ice and prob hybrid-S Pool.jpg
    Ice and prob hybrid-S Pool.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 45
Yesterday a Buzzard in the trees by Scribers lane. It disturbed a Heron which flew off loudly calling. No Kingfisher. Wali on Twitter saw one the day before fishing on the old Mill race. I've seen one there too. Amazed it can fish amongst the aquatic plants.

It was good to see the Kingfisher again today at Scribers Lane, Trittiford.
It's colours were stunning in the poor gray light and against the dull woodland. Electric blue lol. (It flew from the old Mill race)
It was in November I saw a Kingfisher for three weeks running on a Friday in this area, so it was good to time it right again. I'd forgot it was Friday today lol.
There was a Buzzard as well which is a regular sight for me here.
A heron was high up in a tree which was a bit of a surprise as I didn't see it at first.
Great!

Last edited:
SWANSHURST POOL.
A nice selection of gulls at my local pond, including the Iceland Gull (today) and the contentious gull on Friday last (not seen today).

Des.

Attachments

• Iceland Gull.jpg
    Iceland Gull.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Gulls 5-S Park.jpg
    Gulls 5-S Park.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Casp-YL Gull.jpg
    Casp-YL Gull.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 33
The Kingfisher was on the Chinn Brook at Wonders Walk/the Dingles next to the River Cole.
There were 2 Goosander on the Priory Lake.
There were 2 Pochard on Trittiford lake.
4 Cormorant flew over.
Great!

Last edited:
Hi all

Cold but interesting spin round my usual walk today. Highlights were:

Little egret at the Dingles - saw there and back!
Great crested grebe, 4 Pochard (3 male) and two pairs of tufted ducks at Trittiford
Small flock of long-tailed tits near the mill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 20
Also a kestrel which was mobbed away by crows - too fast for me to get a pic of that unfortunately!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back