• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sheepwash urban park (1 Viewer)

16 Goosander (3 Drake) on Pumphouse pool yday afternoon. A flock of 5 Teal, 11 Pochard the other highlights.
Pritty quiet, but nice to be able to get another visit to sheepwash after a long absence!
MB

Sun 9th Dec - 1145/1330

Laurie Allan, Gavin Allan and Justin Neal.

Goosander 23+
Pochard Ca40
Tufted Ca20
Mallard
Shoveler Ca6

The totals are Ca because of diving and dissapearing birds so its approx,

Sparrowhawk - female-type hunting Tits.

1 Black-Headed Gull with a distinct Med-Gull type Winter head-pattern, made me look twice;)

Laure -

This afternoon
Male and female Shoveler on the main Pumphouse pool, as well as 13 Goosander (5m)and 20c Pochard.
Pair of Goosander on the fishing pool and a single bird (female) on the chemical pool.
Flock of 40c Linnet was a nice suprise on the 'mound' together with about 15 Chaffinch
MB

hi read this blog and decided to give sita a visit this afternoon.the weather turned on me but still really enjoyed this place.highlights for me
8 goosander
3 little grebe
6 grey herons
4 pochard
about 10-15 tufty ducks

Last edited:
I used to go there a lot pre-2000 when I worked in Tipton. It seems most local birders are heading for the bright lights of Belvide and Upton Warren these days so I might call in during the next few days. Sheepwash and Sandwell Valley seem to be underwatched these days.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Shoveler, Wigeon and Water Rail all noted in the last week.

I used to go there a lot pre-2000 when I worked in Tipton. It seems most local birders are heading for the bright lights of Belvide and Upton Warren these days so I might call in during the next few days. Sheepwash and Sandwell Valley seem to be underwatched these days.

Remember doing Sheepwash when there was little in the way of trees, very good for waders then on passage. Alas council tree planting for quick fix has turned into a haven of youths, drinkers and dog walkers...

Agreed Martin - far too much cover, the least they could do would be to coppice a % of it, it's mostly the same age and there is very little variety for nesting etc. The best area for 'edge' habitat is also regularly accessed by dickheads, dogwalkers and pick-nickers:C

Laurie:t:

Agreed Martin - far too much cover, the least they could do would be to coppice a % of it, it's mostly the same age and there is very little variety for nesting etc. The best area for 'edge' habitat is also regularly accessed by dickheads, dogwalkers and pick-nickers:C

I rang the Council the other day to see if there are any volunteer work parties planned but they said not at the moment, shame, I'd love to cut some of trees down around Pumphouse Pool.
Geoff

If it was me Geoff and i was more local i would coppice the areas myself and be done with it, but that's me.......i've cut some material at Withymoor and made some more 'edge' habitat for any passing waders and have some nest boxes in prep;)

If it was me Geoff and i was more local i would coppice the areas myself and be done with it, but that's me.......i've cut some material at Withymoor and made some more 'edge' habitat for any passing waders and have some nest boxes in prep;)

As it's a public park it would be thought of as vandalism by some, also the islands need doing and that would take a boat to do it.
Geoff

16 Shoveler was a nice count yesterday. 2 Teal, 40c Pochard on Pumphouse pool.
A single Common Snipe on the river showing well from the footbridge where the river leaves the park.
MB

Sheep wash

Today 26th. kingfisher on Tame. Water Rail near tunnel by gate. Sparrowhawk, 4 Goosander, 9 Shoveler, 14 Pochard, 12 Teal, 2 Little Grebe and a continental type Cormorant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back