• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodgate Valley CP & Quinton Meadows (1 Viewer)

Hi Baggie Dave, once again that's an impressive list. Where did you see the woodpeckers and Jays? All I ever see is magpies and crows. I've not see the Grey Wagtail. Saw a couple over the weekend on the Wood Brook/Bourne and Griffins Brook.

Hi Zomerset

The Green Woodpecker was in the open area near to Plough Close near to Clapgate Lane. There were several Great Spotted Woodpecker around, mainly along the brook. I would recommend listening to a recording of its call because it stands out quite a bit once you know it. They also have a noticeable undulating flight when moving around.

As for the Jays, they were in the strip of open area north of the brook fairly centrally along the brook. Hard to describe where really. Again, their call is a good way to find them. They often look like a magpie on first glance when flying away but are much more colourful. One even had a walk down the footpath along the brook about 20ft in front of me for several metres before flying off.

Cheers

Had a visit yesterday morning as the sun rose. Very quiet, slight breeze and a bit overcast.

Highlight was only my second Pheasant record for the Valley, heard quite close to the western end of the park. Also had a Grey Wagtail on the brook.

Species seen:

Pheasant, Grey Wagtail, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-Tailed Tit, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Redwing, Fieldfare, Song Thrush, Jay, Crow, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Collared Dove, BH Gull, Herring Gull, LBB Gull, House Sparrow, Great Spotted Woodpecker. A flock of 8 Mistle Thrush and a group of around 20 or so Pied Wagtails were both in and around the paddocks.

Given we are expecting a baby in February and want to reduce costs, i will be spending more time here in 2014 and to that end have also entered the Patchwork Challenge 2014 to keep the interest high throughout the year.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!:t:

Last edited:
Had a visit yesterday morning as the sun rose. Very quiet, slight breeze and a bit overcast.

Highlight was only my second Pheasant record for the Valley, heard quite close to the western end of the park. Also had a Grey Wagtail on the brook.

Species seen:

Pheasant, Grey Wagtail, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-Tailed Tit, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Redwing, Fieldfare, Song Thrush, Jay, Crow, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Collared Dove, BH Gull, Herring Gull, LBB Gull, House Sparrow, Great Spotted Woodpecker. A flock of 8 Mistle Thrush and a group of around 20 or so Pied Wagtails were both in and around the paddocks.

Given we are expecting a baby in February and want to reduce costs, i will be spending more time here in 2014 and to that end have also entered the Patchwork Challenge 2014 to keep the interest high throughout the year.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!:t:

Hi Baggie Dave - your list and the siting of a pheasant inspired me to take a run around Woodgate Valley today before my Xmas meal. I have to say it was a great visit for me as usually I think I leave it too late in the day when I visit at 3-4 and only see Pigeons, Crows and Magpies. Like your list there was birds everywhere, thankfully more blackbirds than magpies! The most impressive siting for me was a very colourful bullfinch, I saw two a couple years a go down WVCP and have been waiting to see one here since. Also mega impressive was a hawk overhead. I'm going to check your lists to see what it might have been.

Hi Baggie Dave - your list and the siting of a pheasant inspired me to take a run around Woodgate Valley today before my Xmas meal. I have to say it was a great visit for me as usually I think I leave it too late in the day when I visit at 3-4 and only see Pigeons, Crows and Magpies. Like your list there was birds everywhere, thankfully more blackbirds than magpies! The most impressive siting for me was a very colourful bullfinch, I saw two a couple years a go down WVCP and have been waiting to see one here since. Also mega impressive was a hawk overhead. I'm going to check your lists to see what it might have been.

Bullfinches can be quite common there if you know what to look for. There is usually 2-3 of them around but i've seen them all over the country park so worth keeping a constant eye out.

The bird of prey was most likely a Buzzard. If it was brown and a bit bigger than a crow then that is a Buzzard. Other likely candidates would be a Sparrowhawk or a Kestrel.

Merry Christmas!!

Zomerset - as Dave says they can be more frequent than you might think.

Birds can generally be picked up calling before seen, you might not be familiar with the call - it's a plaintive 'piping' and is quite distinct.

Below is a calling bird that might be of some help....

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• Eurasian Bullfinch - call.mp3
    152.3 KB · Views: 63
28/12/13

Spent 2.5 hours on the patch this morning with 1 new species for the list (for me anyway) in the form of a Grey Heron flying overhead. Other highlights were 2 Nuthatch, a female Sparrowhawk over the car park, a group of 6 Bullfinch and around the paddocks were respective flocks of 50+ Redwing, 5-6 Pied Wagtails, c.20 Goldfinch/Greenfinch and c.20 Starling as well as 25 or so Black Headed Gulls.

Species seen:

BH Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Crow, Collard Dove, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Green Woodpecker, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Jay, Less BBGull, Long-Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mistle Thrush, Nuthatch, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, Robin, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Woodpigeon, Wren.

The year list and indeed my own list now stands at 57. To be honest though, with thorough weekly visits throughout the year and a bit of luck looking skywards i would imagine getting anything between 80-100 species in 2014 is a possibility.

Cheers :t:

Zomerset - as Dave says they can be more frequent than you might think.

Birds can generally be picked up calling before seen, you might not be familiar with the call - it's a plaintive 'piping' and is quite distinct.

Below is a calling bird that might be of some help....

Laurie:t:

Thanks Laurie, I shall have to study bird calls this year.

Bullfinches can be quite common there if you know what to look for. There is usually 2-3 of them around but i've seen them all over the country park so worth keeping a constant eye out.

The bird of prey was most likely a Buzzard. If it was brown and a bit bigger than a crow then that is a Buzzard. Other likely candidates would be a Sparrowhawk or a Kestrel.

Merry Christmas!!

Hi BD, yes I think the bird of prey was a buzzard. I visited yesterday 10.00 and saw it fly over again. It was bigger than a crow and mobbed by a couple of them. Other bird of note for me was a Jay.

5/1/14

First visit of 2014 and i managed a pretty decent 33 species for the morning. No new species but got most of the regulars to get the year off to a decent start.

Species seen: BH Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Collard Dove, Dunnock, Fieldfare, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Green Woodpecker, Greenfinch, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Jay, LBB Gull, Long-tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, Robin, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Treecreeper, Woodpigeon, Wren.

11/1/14

2 more standards of Nuthatch and Song Thrush added to make the year list up to 35 species. 2 unique Grey Wagtails are about, still loads and loads of Bullfinch about too. I did see a small bird at the top of a large tree fairly centrally within the park. It was the size of a blue tit and wasn't expecting to see anything weird when i looked through the bins but on closer inspection it appeared to have a longish bill and dark cap which was fairly uniform. I thought it could have been a marsh/willow tit but the bill may have implied male Blackcap. Either way it's call didn't line up with any of them so guess it will be one that got away.

Species seen: BH Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Collared Dove, Dunnock, Fieldfare, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jay, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Nuthatch, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, Robin, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Treecreeper, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Yet to be seen 2014 targets: Coal Tit, Stock Dove, Grey Heron, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, Kestrel, Pheasant.

Cheers

19/1/14

2 Hours on the patch this morning included a generally quieter day than the last few weeks but did yield 3 year ticks on the site including a first for me in the form of a Moorhen. It was hiding away very well so no surprise i hadn't spotted this in the past!!

Year ticks were a Goldcrest and a single Stock Dove at its usual haunt. Still seem to be a lot of Bullfinches around. Song Thrush numbers are increasing or at least getting more vocal. Redwing numbers seem to be dwindling a little now too in the valley whilst i have seen fewer Fieldfare this winter than most. The Pied Wagtail group on the horse paddocks has also gone up to around 20 birds. Also thought i may have heard a Raven but not sure and couldn't find it so fingers crossed will spot one soon. Also had 2 foxes, think male and female running around near the brook bridge.

Species seen:

BH Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Crow, Collared Dove, Dunnock, Goldcrest, GSW, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jay, Long-tailed Tit, Magpie, Mistle Thrush, Moorhen, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, Robin, Song thrush, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Wren.

19/1/14

2 Hours on the patch this morning included a generally quieter day than the last few weeks but did yield 3 year ticks on the site including a first for me in the form of a Moorhen. It was hiding away very well so no surprise i hadn't spotted this in the past!!

Year ticks were a Goldcrest and a single Stock Dove at its usual haunt. Still seem to be a lot of Bullfinches around. Song Thrush numbers are increasing or at least getting more vocal. Redwing numbers seem to be dwindling a little now too in the valley whilst i have seen fewer Fieldfare this winter than most. The Pied Wagtail group on the horse paddocks has also gone up to around 20 birds. Also thought i may have heard a Raven but not sure and couldn't find it so fingers crossed will spot one soon. Also had 2 foxes, think male and female running around near the brook bridge.

Species seen:

BH Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Crow, Collared Dove, Dunnock, Goldcrest, GSW, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jay, Long-tailed Tit, Magpie, Mistle Thrush, Moorhen, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, Robin, Song thrush, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Wren.

I was going to suggest to you the Moorhen! Glad you found it. There are 2 I've seen. I guess you got as far as the blvd? That's where I first saw the kingfisher but not seen one for quite some time now. June was the last sighting I heard.

25/1/14

A good 3 hours on the patch this morning yielded 2 year ticks int the form of a pair of Coal Tit (only my own personal 2nd record on the patch) and a Feral Pigeon. Still good numbers of Bullfinch about and lots of noisy Song Thrush. Flocks of Starling, Redwings and Pied Wagtails continue to be apparent around the paddocks.

Also of note were 3 foxes running around the paddocks, made up of what i assume was 2 males and a female as 2 foxes were having a bit of a barney and fighting for dominance in broad daylight. There was also some dogwalkers who claimed to have seen some tracks by the brook and fresh droppings indicating water voles, so will be keeping an eye out. They also mentioned they had seem some pheasants in the paddocks in recent weeks so thankfully still around.

Species seen: BH Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Crow, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Collared Dove, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, Jay, LBB Gull, Long-tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Song Thrush, Starling, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Wren.

1/2/14

Quiet day on the patch today with no new species added to the year list. Very little to report on to be honest, low abundance of birds and people, although the Redwing flock has increased again around the paddock.

Species seen: Black-Headed Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Collared Dove, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jay, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, Robin, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Treecreeper, Woodpigeon, Wren.

8/2/14 - Had to see what WVCP looked like with all the rain and wind and it was boggier than I expected with quite a few trees fallen down. Was pleased to see a few Mallard on the brook, then even more delighted to stumble on a buzzard, metres away low down in a tree and watch it take off with it's large wingspan. As per Baggie Dave, I saw plenty of bullfinch which was colourful and then just as I left I saw the moorhen on the brook.

16/2/14

A beautiful sunny day today, albeit boggy underfoot and a few fallen trees around. Spent 2 hours on the patch and managed 1 new species for the year list in the form of a flock of 7 Lesser Redpoll. I tried to see if any of them stood out as a possible Mealy Redpoll but I could stare at them all day and not know how to tell them apart!! Birdsong seemed much more obvious today, with Blackbird, Song Thrush and Wren all belting out a tune.

Species Seen: Black Headed Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Collared Dove, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jay, LBB Gull, Lesser Redpoll, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Song Thrush, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Wren.

22/1/14

Forgot to write this up the weekend!! 1 new species to add to the year and indeed patch list in the form of a flock of 6 Canada Geese flying over the car park, given away by their honking call.

I also stumbled upon a little corner of the park i haven't visited before which lies between the housing estate and junction 3 of the M5. There a plentiful amount of conifers and pine trees here and several birds using the garden feeders strung across the estate. I spotted a Starling and Coal Tit as well as the usual garden birds. Plenty of potential anyway.

Nothing much to add really, heard the Moorhen but didn't see it, had 2 sparrowhawk gliding over and a pair of Jackdaw over.

Species Seen: BH Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Canada Goose, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Jay, LBB Gull, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Moorhen, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Starling, Sparrowhawk, Song Thrush, Treecreeper, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Coverage will be patchy over the next month or two as my first child is due to be born tomorrow(!!) so won't have as much time on weekends, but 2 weeks paternity leave may give me an hour or two here and there to pop over 8-P

Last edited:
22/1/14

Forgot to write this up the weekend!! 1 new species to add to the year and indeed patch list in the form of a flock of 6 Canada Geese flying over the car park, given away by their honking call.

I also stumbled upon a little corner of the park i haven't visited before which lies between the housing estate and junction 3 of the M5. There a plentiful amount of conifers and pine trees here and several birds using the garden feeders strung across the estate. I spotted a Starling and Coal Tit as well as the usual garden birds. Plenty of potential anyway.

Nothing much to add really, heard the Moorhen but didn't see it, had 2 sparrowhawk gliding over and a pair of Jackdaw over.

Species Seen: BH Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Canada Goose, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Jay, LBB Gull, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Moorhen, Pied Wagtail, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Starling, Sparrowhawk, Song Thrush, Treecreeper, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Coverage will be patchy over the next month or two as my first child is due to be born tomorrow(!!) so won't have as much time on weekends, but 2 weeks paternity leave may give me an hour or two here and there to pop over 8-P

Yeah right....lol

Congrats on the impending youngster and we'll see you in 16 years.......

Keith

22/1/14

Hi Baggie Dave, I looked out my window Saturday and saw those 6 Canadian Geese go past my house, the right direction for WVCP, I wonder where they were heading!! Congrats also!!

1 - 3 - 2014
Took a visit to to WVCP. Still quite boggy at the blvd end and many trees, fallen down and across the brook (good for a KF visit in June). Also many trees being cut down or marked to be cut down (H&S). Lots of bird song and robins and blackbirds at every turn. A Mallard couple in the Brook and Bullfinch in the path trees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back