• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birmingham City Centre (1 Viewer)

Large gulls feeding on presumably an insect hatch on Jennens Road central reservation - c30 LBB Gulls (all adults) and 3 Herring Gulls.

I live in the city centre and I'm happy to find this thread.

I've got a 'flat list' of about 30 species just behind the new library. Plenty of mistle thrushes and most other common 'garden' birds - greenfinch, goldfinch, chaffinch, great tit, blue tit, long-tailed tit, dunnock, wren. Some extra interesting birds have been a little egret flying up the canal, a jay last winter when there was the eruption of them, and then warblers (chiffchaff, whitethroat, blackcap). Also had both redwing and fieldfare feeding outside.

Not bad for a city centre! And that doesn't include the regular peregrines and range of gulls.

I'll let you know of anything else...

I live in the city centre and I'm happy to find this thread.

I've got a 'flat list' of about 30 species just behind the new library. Plenty of mistle thrushes and most other common 'garden' birds - greenfinch, goldfinch, chaffinch, great tit, blue tit, long-tailed tit, dunnock, wren. Some extra interesting birds have been a little egret flying up the canal, a jay last winter when there was the eruption of them, and then warblers (chiffchaff, whitethroat, blackcap). Also had both redwing and fieldfare feeding outside.

Not bad for a city centre! And that doesn't include the regular peregrines and range of gulls.

I'll let you know of anything else...

Saw 4 Mistle Thrush over Aston University campus this afternoon; not sure what makes them quite so populus in the city centre

There used to be a female Wood Duck on the canals round Brindley Place, usually hanging round with a few Mallards. I quite enjoy having a nose around the River Rea, always good numbers of Pied and Grey Wagtails to be found.

I have seen a Mistle Thrush behind the library a few times on the way to the NIA. Have also seen a flock of Goldfinch in the trees by the NIA canal bridge. Blue tits are fairly common throughout the city centre too. Did have a reed warbler in the pond by the football pitches at Aston Uni last year whilst I saw a flock of 40ish Starling fly over the same pond yesterday. We also have a resident pied wagtail who runs around in front of the council house on the way to work in the morning!!

The couple of trees on Broad Street by the ICC always a attract a good Pied Wagtail Roost in winter, as do the trees opposite the Bullring.

Several years ago I was asked to write a report on the birds of Birmingham City Centre. The following species were seen:
Grey Heron (flyover),
Canada Goose, Mallard,
Sparrowhawk (breeding),
Common Buzzard (flyover, although they are now breeding at several locations within a six mile radius of B'ham CC),
Kestrel (breeding)
Peregrine Falcon (they first turned up at the BT Tower in 1996; at B'ham University a pair was first seen in 1987),
Moorhen, Coot,
Woodcock(St Paul's Churchyard)
Black headed Gull, Lesser Black backed Gull (first known breeding, 1986, on the canal by St Chads), Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon,
Ring Necked Parakeet (heard and seen flying over Moor Street Station),
Tawny Owl,
Swift,
Kingfisher, (single record, seen by a number of observers, canal by Cambridge Street),
Greater Spotted Woodpecker (a very derelict Snow Hill Station, 1986).
Grey Wagtail (breeding), Pied Wagtail,
Wren,
Dunnock,
Robin,
Black Redstart (in 1986 there was a maximum of 13 birds holding territory in the West Midlands; in 1987 there were 8 known breeding locations. By 2003, there were 11 records of singing birds in Birmingham CC. However, some of these records are likely to be duplicates. Only 2 pairs were confirmed breeding. In 2010, there was just one record of breeding).
Wheatear (two records; in 1992 at Snow Hill Station a male stayed several days; in 2004 three passage birds were seen on a rooftop close to the Dogs Home).
Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush (bred 2004),
Whitethroat, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff,
Blue Tit, Great Tit,
Magpie, Carrion Crow,
Starling,
House Sparrow,
Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch.

Last edited:
Digbeth Kingfisher

Just (~5pm) had a Kingfisher fly over High St Digbeth along the line of traffic. Plus a half decent murmuration over the bull ring c50.

Kingfishers are active at a number of locations close to the city centre.
The River Cole goes under the Grand Union canal by the Small Heath bypass, and kingfishers are regularly seen at the Ackers. They are also frequently seen along the Rea, close to the confluence with the Bourn Brook. Read somewhere that juvenile kingfishers rarely disperse more than fifteen kilometres from their natal site.
From experience, birds in the Birmingham suburbs are under recorded. There is some decent and quite diverse habitat in the city.
There were several reports last winter of between 1-3 little egrets along the Rea Valley at Hazelwell and a similar number roosting along the Cole at Four Arches Bridge; presumably the same birds.
The Cole Valley is definitely worth a visit.

Last edited:
I know it's not the city centre but finally saw a kingfisher on the Bourne (brook) at Selly Oak / Bourneville mid day today. I wonder if it's the same one that visits Woodgate Valley or the one from the Rea. It was loud and fast and disappeared pretty quick, no doubt looking for somewhere quiet to fish.

Last edited:
Back in the late 80's when the WM Bird Club were surveying black redstarts in the city, passage skylarks were seen at one derelict factory off Rocky Lane.
In addition to black redstarts breeding and over wintering there, it was also good for butterflies.

Before the metro was built, came across several hundred golden plover. at another derelict site. Apparently, they turned up there each year.

Back in the late 80's when the WM Bird Club were surveying black redstarts in the city, passage skylarks were seen at one derelict factory off Rocky Lane.
In addition to black redstarts breeding and over wintering there, it was also good for butterflies.

Before the metro was built, came across several hundred golden plover. at another derelict site. Apparently, they turned up there each year.

Up to 1000 Golden Plover were regular in winter at the old Wednesbury Tube & Bilston Steelworks sites in the 80s, 90s & early 2000s until development interfered. Brown field sites held numerous birds. I personally saw 3 Ruff, 6 Redshank, up to 3 pairs of LRP (breeding) ,passage Wheatears , Black Redstarts, Yellow Wags, Dunlins, Snipe, Jack Snipe & numerous Gulls. Skylark, Meadow Pipits, Pied Wags, Lapwing & Linnets were regular breeding birds. Who says brown field sites are less important than green field sites? Wrong!

Hughie King.

Sat 12th Oct....

Just a quick visit to pick up one or two bits and bobs in Chinatown.

Only bird of note was a flyover Grey Wagtail at the Arcadian, would reccomend the lunchtime buffet @ the BigWok as well as a couple of pints at The Anchor in Diggers.

Below - the regular Crane Roost in Brum town centre.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 129
That was the place. Couldnae remember if it was Wednesbury or Wednesfield; early 1995.
Was carrying out a walkover mammal survey. Saw peregrine there.
At another location on the canal basin by Halesowen (Bumble Hole?)a male pied flycatcher stayed for a couple of days. Found a water vole colony nearby but on the Stour.
Also on the Stour at Cradley, there was clear evidence otters were present. They were known to be on the Stour but don't think anybody realised they were active so far upstream. This is going back to around 2001-2002.
Proves your point that brownfield sites are better for wildlife and have greater species diversity
Reminds me though of the time I was told by someone in planning, 'badgers in Birmingham, you don't know what you are talking about.'
Given Patterson's misguided and bloody offensive against badgers, it might be the only place left to see them.

Up to 1000 Golden Plover were regular in winter at the old Wednesbury Tube & Bilston Steelworks sites in the 80s, 90s & early 2000s until development interfered. Brown field sites held numerous birds. I personally saw 3 Ruff, 6 Redshank, up to 3 pairs of LRP (breeding) ,passage Wheatears , Black Redstarts, Yellow Wags, Dunlins, Snipe, Jack Snipe & numerous Gulls. Skylark, Meadow Pipits, Pied Wags, Lapwing & Linnets were regular breeding birds. Who says brown field sites are less important than green field sites? Wrong!

Hughie King.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back