• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bartley reservoir (1 Viewer)

Jealous!

List of main bird sightings on Scottish trip as follows

Greylag Goose (3 presumably wild birds over Loch Broom)
Common Eider
Common Scoter
Goldeneye
Red breasted Merganser
Goosander
Red Grouse (Carn Ban Mor and Skye)
Ptarmigan (Pass of the Cattle and Carn Ban mor)
Red throated Diver
Black throated Diver (last 2 species off Applecross)
Great Northern Diver (Gruinard bay)
Fulmar
Manx Shearwater (Hundreds from Neist point, Skye)
Storm Petrel ( several from Neist point, Skye)
Red Kite (over A9 near Dunkeld on way home)
White tailed Eagle (Skye and Gruinard Bay)
Goshawk ( Findhorn valley)
Golden Eagle (Findhorn valley, Skye, Gruinard)
Osprey ( Beauly firth)
Merlin (Strath Bran, Findhorn valley, Skye)
Peregrine (Findhorn valley)
Dotterel (pass of the Cattle and Carn Ban Mor)
Whimbrel (100+ south past Fort George, Moray firth)
Arctic Tern ( Loads in Moray firth off Fort George)
Black Guillemot (Broadford bay, Loch Broom)
Bonxie (Loch Broom and Neist point)
Arctic Skua (Neist point, Skye)
Hooded Crow (All over the place)

Plus the common stuff. It was a good trip. Should have liked to do a sea-watch from the Stornoway ferry but didn't have time)

Findhorn Valley, probably one of the best spots there is, we must get back there. Very Jealous!

Was the Yellow Legged Gull at Bartley a young bird Steve ? Juvenile Gulls are not my strong point and juvenile Yellow Legs look very similar to Herrings to me. With all these growing records of Yellow Legged Gulls it's made me realise I need to gen up on these as I may be missing something :)

Great list of your Scottish sightings - very impressive. Hope to get up to Scotland one day sounds like heaven!!

Was the Yellow Legged Gull at Bartley a young bird Steve ? Juvenile Gulls are not my strong point and juvenile Yellow Legs look very similar to Herrings to me. With all these growing records of Yellow Legged Gulls it's made me realise I need to gen up on these as I may be missing something :)

Great list of your Scottish sightings - very impressive. Hope to get up to Scotland one day sounds like heaven!!

Adult Yellow-legged Gull, which incidentally wasn't there this morning.

As for Scotland, well I'm half Scottish so its any excuse to get me up there |:d|. But it really is a great place to go, especially if you like birding in wild isolated and out of the way places. I didn't see another birder all the time I was there, and of all the times Ive been birding on Skye the last time I saw another birder there was way back in 2003.

Thurs 15.8.13.......12pm-2pm

Not a lot........

5 Whitethroat
1 Blackcap
35 Herring Gulls
2 Chiffchaffs

No visit tomorrow, I'm off to South Yorkshire to see the Two-barred Crossbills

Thanks Steve, I don't live far from Bartley Green so I really must get down there sometime!. I drove past Bartley on Wednesday at about 7.30pm on my way back from work and a guy was there with a scope. He didn't look 6 foot 4 so i'm guessing that wasn't you :)

Nothing better than birding in isolated spots ! I do envy those Scots all that countryside to themselves but they have dodgy weather to put up with as penance :)

Good luck with the Two-barred Crossbill's , i'd be happy enough seeing a common one!

Got to see the Two barred Crossbills after standing around in a wood at the edge of Broomhill reservoir for three hours with about sixty other birders. There were hundreds of Crossbills, constantly flying around and disappearing for ages before coming back, landing on the treetops, then taking off again.

The reservoir is at the bottom of a steep sided valley, there wasn't so much as a duck on the water, and the whole place is deathly quiet (apart from the racket the Crossbills were making).

Thanks Steve, I don't live far from Bartley Green so I really must get down there sometime!. I drove past Bartley on Wednesday at about 7.30pm on my way back from work and a guy was there with a scope. He didn't look 6 foot 4 so i'm guessing that wasn't you :)

Nothing better than birding in isolated spots ! I do envy those Scots all that countryside to themselves but they have dodgy weather to put up with as penance :)

Good luck with the Two-barred Crossbill's , i'd be happy enough seeing a common one!

Probably was me actually. I was the only birder there at that time, and I do tend to lean back against the side of the car when I've got my scope out......terrible posture I know |:D|

Not much going on at Bartley the past few days, nothing passing through at all.

Its been a bit more livelier up on Walton hill (Worcs) though. Lots of hirrundines passing over Monday and Tuesday, and quite a few Whitethroats, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs too. More Buzzards than usual, and a few Meadow Pipits passing through also.

I'm going to spending a lot of time on Walton hill over the next two months.

Not much at Bartley this afternoon apart from the usual gulls. However, for some reason, there seemed to be rather a lot of Large White butterflies moving south over the res during the hour that I was there.

Good job I wasn't doing a bird race at Bartley today, the only racing going on was by boats........loads of them......pushed what birds there were down to the southern end of the res and even then nearly forced them off the res altogether :C

But anyway.......

1 Green Sandpiper
2 Buzzards
1 Cormorant
1 Blackcap
60 LBB Gulls
8 Herring Gulls
14 Tufted Ducks
150+ Woodpigeons

And that was as good as it got

Hi all got a few sightings for you from around 2- 3pm today. Fine drizzle in the air throughout the visit here's the main sightings,

Grey Heron x1, Great crested Grebe x2, Lesser black backed Gull x1, Black headed Gull x1, Green Sandpiper x1, Mistle Thrush x2, a Jack Snipe was also seen by another birder who said he flushed it from one of the fields near the Church.

Hope this helps.

WMBB

Just had a brief visit to Bartley. No sign of any Snow Buntings in the stubble field adjacent the Church, though its a big field...so who knows, could still about.

Couple of Scaup with a few Goldeneye on the water. Nice flock of Redwing around the Church, but not much else to report.

Scaup and Goldeneye.....no match this weekend....got go check it out.....which side is best to view.
Got no scope but can scan with 400 lens for record shots.
Keith

Scaup and Goldeneye.....no match this weekend....got go check it out.....which side is best to view.
Got no scope but can scan with 400 lens for record shots.
Keith

Scaup possibly best from the Dam, Goldeneye more or less keep to the middle part of the reservoir. I can vision the pin sharp images already;)

Never got any free time until around 3pm and it had gone crappy by me so am going to try earlyish tomorrow.
Cheers
Keith :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back