• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jupiter Dawn (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
This long-drawn dawn seeps in; Jupiter, out west, and it's moons, fades into the pale and brightening sky. The land under snow like a faded Bruegel: black and white.

Pastel pink smears the faintest blue as a Robin pipes up. Ragged scraps of corvids flap across the valley and the Heron glides down stream - great grey wings bowed heavily - big feet protruding behind.

The first finches fly in, spiralling to treetops, alert in the frozen air. A Crow caws a croaky warning as a Sparrowhawk begins a headlong plummet - speeding until pulling up above the trees on the ridge. She turns, slower now, toward the valley, the rising sun - still too low to reach the shadowed land - striking her undersides.

The garden begins to fill with birds hungry from the long night, wary of the Magpie glaring from the cherry.

Now the sun finds the ridge tops and the sheep-dotted snow glows pink. A pair of Stock doves displays briefly in the thin sky. The first Common gull sails up the valley, North with the slightest wind.

The full day finally finishes it's begin, Jupiter fully faded until tomorrow.

Last edited:
Quite made my morning that one did :) I'll make a contribution - I photo'd the Hunters in Vienna a couple of months back - here it is in black and white :)

Attachments

• faded bruegel.jpg
    faded bruegel.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 64
You've posted another beautiful description of your birding morning H2.

Many thanks for all these lovely posts through the last year.

A very happy New Year to you and your family.

Thanks Stuart, Damian & Delia.

I've been looking out at Jupiter without realising for a few days, then had a look through my bins & saw its moons - or some of them.

Happy New Year everyone.

All four of Jupiter's major moons: Io, Europa, Ganymede & Callisto were visible again this morning - what a sight!
The other 63 presumably too small to see with bins!

All four of Jupiter's major moons: Io, Europa, Ganymede & Callisto were visible again this morning - what a sight!
Wow, had no idea. Another masterpiece, H. Loved the 'ragged scraps of corvids', puts so perfectly into words images I've seen on windy days.

I was just looking at them last night. The moons are lined up at an angle approximating one o'clock to seven o'clock on the 'clock face system'. Jupiter was rising above the sea and peeking out from the clouds when I took this shot earlier this evening. Jupiter's not in shot, unfortunately, but bits of Orion can be see in the top right.

Attachments

• IMG_2413-web.jpg
    IMG_2413-web.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 44
Wow, had no idea. Another masterpiece, H. Loved the 'ragged scraps of corvids', puts so perfectly into words images I've seen on windy days.

I had no idea there were so many until I checked - Saturn has a similar number!

Barred Wobbler - from where I was looking the moons were 4 & 10 o'clock - three on one side & one on the other.

Jupiter is the brightest thing in the sky at the mo. (other than the FULL moon!)

I had no idea there were so many until I checked - Saturn has a similar number!

Barred Wobbler - from where I was looking the moons were 4 & 10 o'clock - three on one side & one on the other.

Jupiter is the brightest thing in the sky at the mo. (other than the FULL moon!)

It'll be a timing and location thing. I was looking into the eastern sky in early evening and the planet wasn't very high. No doubt the angle to the horizon will differ as it crosses the sky.

I took this shot of them a couple of nights before Christmas 2011, just for a bit of daftness, using my 400mm birding lens at half a second exposure. I was out one frosty night hoping for an aurora to equal the one of the night before (I'd missed it, but my mate who was on the beach fishing took great delight in telling my how bright it had been). The aurora failed, but it was nice to be out.

Attachments

• Jupiter-(1)-web.jpg
    Jupiter-(1)-web.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Wonderful prose.
Hope you have a chance to admire Venus with Mercury in conjunction tonight.
Evening star and small consort, quite magical just after sunset.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back