• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Day at the Beach (1 Viewer)

Dom F

Its the school summer holidays over here at the moment so as we were all off for the day decided to spend it at the beach. Family days at the beach tend not to produce too many birds and today was no exception with just five species seen...
Aus Figbird, Golden-headed Cisticola, Rainbow Lorikeet, Purple Swamphen and these guys...:king:

Attachments

• DSC08175.JPG
    DSC08175.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC08170.JPG
    DSC08170.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC08179.JPG
    DSC08179.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 32
Its the school summer holidays over here at the moment so as we were all off for the day decided to spend it at the beach. Family days at the beach tend not to produce too many birds and today was no exception with just five species seen...
Aus Figbird, Golden-headed Cisticola, Rainbow Lorikeet, Purple Swamphen and these guys...:king:
Awesome! I went back to Mission Beach four times (from Townsville marina) before finally seeing one. Hope you didn't get between Mommie and baby.;)

Awesome! I went back to Mission Beach four times (from Townsville marina) before finally seeing one. Hope you didn't get between Mommie and baby.;)

Hi Sue
Mum has nothing to do with the raising of the chicks she leaves all that to dad and he was quite happy to wander off and leave the chick next to people!
I have unintentionally been chased by an irate female I disturbed when wandering through some rainforest!
These are at Etty Bay rather than Mission Beach - have never seen them at Mission but see them most time I go to Etty, except in Sept / Oct when the eggs are still being incubated or the chicks are very young and so don't get moved too far

Hi Sue
Mum has nothing to do with the raising of the chicks she leaves all that to dad and he was quite happy to wander off and leave the chick next to people!
I have unintentionally been chased by an irate female I disturbed when wandering through some rainforest!
These are at Etty Bay rather than Mission Beach - have never seen them at Mission but see them most time I go to Etty, except in Sept / Oct when the eggs are still being incubated or the chicks are very young and so don't get moved too far
Oh! If I did read that the male raised the chicks, I don't remember. I do remember being told (and reading?) that one must never cut the chicks off from adult (I thought female) because they can be aggressive and could disembowel people with their big 'toe'. I guess that wasn't true.
I did realize you were probably not talking Mission Beach since your location says Cairns. I just kept returning to Mission Beach because we were moored in Townsville for a cyclone season and I thought MB was the closest place for me to have a realistic chance. The first time, my husband went with me and we walked in the rain forest while it was raining. We put up an umbrella at one point but the closeness of the trees made that worthless and we had about a million mozzies under the umbrella in minutes! We were sweating like crazy under our raincoats and after a time, my husband said he was leaving and going back to the room. I stuck it out for a little longer before giving up. I got back to the room and he was sitting on the bed with his feet on the floor. He had bloody toilet paper stuck between his toes. I said, "My God, what happened?"
"Leeches"
"Leeches? Where are they?"
"Flushed down the toilet."
"Damn, I wanted to see them!"
If looks could kill.;)
He didn't go with me for more Cassowary searches.3:)
I was very happy to finally see one strolling through a cut cane field just outside of town.

Last edited:
Oh! If I did read that the male raised the chicks, I don't remember. I do remember being told (and reading?) that one must never cut the chicks off from adult (I thought female) because they can be aggressive and could disembowel people with their big 'toe'. I guess that wasn't true.
I did realize you were probably not talking Mission Beach since your location says Cairns. I just kept returning to Mission Beach because we were moored in Townsville for a cyclone season and I thought MB was the closest place for me to have a realistic chance. The first time, my husband went with me and we walked in the rain forest while it was raining. We put up an umbrella at one point but the closeness of the trees made that worthless and we had about a million mozzies under the umbrella in minutes! We were sweating like crazy under our raincoats and after a time, my husband said he was leaving and going back to the room. I stuck it out for a little longer before giving up. I got back to the room and he was sitting on the bed with his feet on the floor. He had bloody toilet paper stuck between his toes. I said, "My God, what happened?"
"Leeches"
"Leeches? Where are they?"
"Flushed down the toilet."
"Damn, I wanted to see them!"
If looks could kill.;)
He didn't go with me for more Cassowary searches.3:)
I was very happy to finally see one strolling through a cut cane field just outside of town.
Leeches are the bane of forest birding. I never worry about a rain coat as you say you sweat so much you might as well not have bothered!
Mission Beach has always advertised itself as the home of the Cassowary but most local birders would go to Etty Bay which is only about 30 mins north of Mission as the Cassowary is probably easier there.
They are certainly a bird to treat with huge respect as they can be very dangerous!
Have really enjoyed reading about your sailing adventures!
Hope 2015 is a good year for you
Dom

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back