• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amur Falcon slaughter in Nagaland, India (1 Viewer)

O.Reville1989

I started off with nothing and I've still got some
Others have requested that I share this in the main forum so here it is:

http://www.conservationindia.org/campaigns/amur-massacre

Regardless of the need of the people for doing this it is impossible to ignore the number of birds being killed here.

Floor open for others to discuss, I feel my feelings on the subject would lead to a severe wrist slapping, such is my anger at having read this.

O.R

This is the worst things i have seen in a long time thanks for posting it O.R. Nagaland and the whole of India should be ashamed

UNBELIEVABLE! Shameful and makes me think differently of India. I always thought this country showed great compassion. Now the bubble has burst for me...
I'm shocked to the core.
Wasn't it Gandhi who said, “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.?
On the evidence of this, I can say no more...

Extrapolating what happens in Nagaland to the rest of India is unfair... Nagaland is a Christian state with a largely tribal population.

Extrapolating what happens in Nagaland to the rest of India is unfair... Nagaland is a Christian state with a largely tribal population.

Sometimes extreme anger fires off askew sentiments. Forgive me Xenospiza and the rest of India for my outburst. I now know that this is a place that is outside the general remit of Indian sensibilities.:-C
When I'm seeing falcon wings being snapped like twigs, I tend to boil over somewhat quickly. Or any creature's limbs for that matter...:C
Still furious, but outbursts now more controlled. Now I know the facts.:cat:

Its worrying to think that, for example, if this was happening in maybe another 1 or 2 areas of India how many birds are being killed (Not saying it is but just an example).
I guess we have to be thankful that in general India isn't like this as a country. As tragic and horrifying as these things are birds are killed in huge numbers in Malta, Cyprus, Lebanon and other arab states where the whole country basically becomes a no fly zone for birds.
Some of the photos I have seen from these countries are barbaric as well, with the only saving grace being that the birds are sometimes already dead from gun shot wounds.
Seeing the birds left to die in agony and effectively be tortured is what makes this case far more shocking to witness.

This activity may not be reprentative of India as a whole but it still a valid point that the whole of India should be ashamed. Similarly the UK as a whole should be ashamed of the of persecution of its raptors by a minority, and Malta should be ashamed of the actions of its hunters.

If you take the view that it is a regional problem and nothing to do with a wider country, no pressure will be brought to bear and it will continue.

Hunting and food gathering of animals is a complex debate, the majority of us are meat eaters afterall. However, the treatment of these birds is horrific, to see suffering on such a scale is very depressing and torture is not too strong a word here.

Ok. More composed now.
India. Part of your country. Yes. You are ultimately responsible.
There I've said it.
Responsibility for all that occurs within your borders is yours.
And I'm angry once more!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back