• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

234 med gulls inland in Hampshire? (1 Viewer)

scary-canary

Canaries forever... and i'm not always scary, some
Birdguides reports:
234 at Church Road, Cheriton, Hampshire this morning.

Surely that's either a mistake or a record inland count for med gulls?
Chris

We do get some strange sightings in Hampshire, but like Ginge_meister says above, this one is quite plausible.

Badminston Gravel pits, where I have been this morning coincidentally, had a couple of huge gatherings of Meds a few years ago (500+). This was pretty much on the coast (1-2km inland), but the habitat has now changed, and the Gulls no longer gather here. I guess this illustrates that the numbers are present in the County, and with loss of such sites as the Badminston piggery, they will be forced to find other areas.

https://sites.google.com/site/localpatch/badminston

Peter

Birdguides reports:
234 at Church Road, Cheriton, Hampshire this morning.

Surely that's either a mistake or a record inland count for med gulls?
Chris

I'm pretty sure if it's submitted it would be a record count for Hants in November - 70 at the coast would be a good count this time of year as most Meds have moved west. Inland counts of around 40 do occur in late summer.

20,000 meds have been recorded at inland reservoirs in Spain in winter - but I guess you mean in the UK!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back