• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

Seeing male and female black redstarts now with three young. They are very close to the house and today active on a piece of trellis (only fixed there yesterday) or on a raised box or washing line or on top of parasol or in wood abri!
My photos are never much good of birds!

Lucky you Brenda! I get them as passage migrants, but only v e r y occasionally.

Was one in pursuit of the other, Richard?

It certainly seemed a bit of a coincidence, the two species appearing for the first time almost simultaneously, but the Hobby was just cruising along at a lower height than the swifts, probably looking for an easier meal, such as the clumsy juv. Starlings that have recently appeared! Neither species breeds up here, so some years I don't see the Hobbies until the first juvenile House Martins are on the move. Brenda's ahead of me with her Black Redstarts, I saw an adult carrying food to a nearby nest for the first time this morning.

Hi everyone,
I've only 1 to add since my last posting on the 5th May. However, this addition made my heart soar, as it is only the second time seen from our plot, in the nearly 14 years that we have lived here in south Norfolk. The last one was in an old tree in our neighbours garden, many years ago. This most recent one I saw out of my office window on a Friday night, hopping from one fence post to the next around the field behind our house. Staying on each post for a couple of head bangs and then doing a small leap to the next post ( each about 15 foot apart ) :
40 Female Great Spottted Woodpecker
As we are many miles away from the sea and with no other water sources nearby ( other than very tiny ponds ( more of a puddle really ;);)), I wonder how many more birds there could be to add to our plot list...but ever the optimist.. here's hoping ;););)

Last edited:
Can I add on garden list the pigeons that are kept by somone in the village ?

Ooh, that's stretching things a bit too far Brenda - if they're kept by someone they're not really breeding 'in the wild' as feral pigeons do:C
Mind you, you can add 'heard only' birds, so the Tawny Owl you've been hearing hooting(I'd assume that's what it is) can go on the list:t: I tried the chocolate cream egg ploy again today (purely in the interest of ornithology of course) but it didn't bring in any new garden birds for the year - though I did see a Golden Eagle far off and a Red Kite came to check out the fields.

They went over above my head yet again today thats why I asked but yes do understand they are not living in the wild ! Not sure if its a Tawny Owl so not putting it on the list.
Saw close up the Black Redstarts feeding their young today on the trellis , if same tomorrow will try to take some photos.

Last edited:
#44. Oystercatcher
#45. Common Rosefinch - First time in my garden! However - I only heard it couple of time. That sound like it would ask something... (Maybe: " Can't you see me?" |:p|)

#44. Oystercatcher
#45. Common Rosefinch - First time in my garden! However - I only heard it couple of time. That sound like it would ask something... (Maybe: " Can't you see me?" |:p|)

Brilliant Wari, takes me back over 20 years to the day I heard and then saw my only Common Rosefinch, my best ever garden bird when I lived on the coast in Sussex.
Meanwhile over here, the Marsh Warbler action is hotting up, I found 4 males in 3 different places on my walk around the patch yesterday, and this morning at 6am I finally got to hear one from the garden!

78 Marsh Warbler

Brilliant Wari, takes me back over 20 years to the day I heard and then saw my only Common Rosefinch...

Waiting for you to pop up to the Baltics, several singing birds on my land today :t:

And more critically, still new additions for the year - Corncrakes arrived back in the meadow, plus singing Reed Bunting and, a little unexpected for the time of year, a flock of eight Crossbills.

Savi's Warbler and Moorhen still on patch, Bittern still booming.

Best of the bunch however, simply stunning views of a Beaver in the evening sunshine ...coming out of the water to munch grass. And then a Moose paddling through the shallows. Soprano and Nathusius's Pipistelles hawking by my cabin.

112. Corncrake
113. Crossbill
114. Reed Bunting

Really envious of all these birds - here it's blowing a gale and the temperature is once again in single figures - though up from the 4c of the other day.

it's blowing a gale in Norfolk too.... can't think any garden bird with any sense will want to visit us at the moment...meanwhile I will dream of the birds above...

Happy birthday Joanne.
Sorry the weather is so pants, with you too :(.
Hopefully you will still be able to enjoy your special day and are spoiled and treated :) B :)B :)

Last edited:
80 - Arctic Skua
81 - House Martin
82 - Common Tern
83 - Whimbrel
84 - Sandwich Tern
85 - Sparrowhawk
86 - Common Rosefinch - the second one I have seen in the garden

Yes, Happy Birthday ;)

Not really expecting any new birds in the town garden for a while to be honest, but some nice other bits - a Hummingbird Hawkmoth on the 14th May and a Four Spotted Chaser dragonfly nestling down beside the front door next to some plant pots today.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back