• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Nighthawk 80mm, any good? (1 Viewer)

Progne Subis

Bird is the word...
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have experience with any of Swift's optics products? A shop not to far from where I live has a Nighthawk 80mm for sale with a 20-60x eyepiece for about $795 USD. So anyway, I'm just looking for a second opinion on the overall performance and quality of Swift scopes.

Thanks in advance

Progne Subis said:
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have experience with any of Swift's optics products? A shop not to far from where I live has a Nighthawk 80mm for sale with a 20-60x eyepiece for about $795 USD. So anyway, I'm just looking for a second opinion on the overall performance and quality of Swift scopes.

Thanks in advance

It sounds a bit expensive. Is it the ED version?

I e-mailed the seller of the scope earlier today to ask that exact question, I'm still waiting for their response. But, have you ever used any of Swift's stuff Luca?

Progne Subis said:
I e-mailed the seller of the scope earlier today to ask that exact question, I'm still waiting for their response. But, have you ever used any of Swift's stuff Luca?

Every single Swift binocular that i looked at was good, very good or excellent. Never looked through their scopes, though.
At $800 you can get the Pentax 65mm ED with an XW eyepiece. Fantastic scopes.

Last edited:
Progne Subis said:
Hi...i havent look through it but" Better view Desired "did a bit of a review on one and i remember that it was a bit of an optical dissapointment,At that price range you can get a lot of good stuff!!!!for that money or a bit more (really)you can get TOP glass................

Thanks very much for your comments guys. Very useful. I just found out from the seller that the one he has is the non ED version, so that's kind of a bummer. Also, he's selling the body alone for $795, and the 20-60x eye piece for additional $370!! I can find them both online together for about $650. So, anyway, I guess I shall look elsewhere for a scope that will serve me well.

Any other recommendations for an 80mm scope that's decent? What about the Bushnell Elite 80mm?

Check out the William Optics Zenithstar II ED. This is the 80mm ED scope that I purchased for entry into the world of digiscoping. They are promoting the scope at USD598 with a free diagonal. You will have to get a 1.25 eyepiece. I am looking at Siebert Optics....good eyepieces at a good price.

Here's a link: http://www.william-optics.com/wowebs/prod_tel/ZS80ED/features0.htm

I haven't had a chance to digiscope with it yet. The first thing I am planning to do is use as a prime lens. There is another thread under digiscoping where an individual has posted some amazing shots taken using a telescope (as prime lens) with a D70.

I probably shouldn't promote the telescope idea so much until I am personaly able to verify how well they work, but I really am confident that a low cost scope like the WO Zenithstar is a promising alternative to the expensive spotting scopes that most of us cant afford anyway.

Just my opinions....take it for what its worth....I have absolutely no experience digiscoping..... :eat:

I just had a look this week at the Brunton Eterna 80ed - I was really suprised how bright and sharp the image from this scope seemed, having always kind of written Brunton off. IMO Worth adding to the list of any scopes you are thinking of going to have a look at.

Luke

Last edited:
If $800 is your limit, get the Pentax 65mm ED with and XW eyepiece. Best scope for the money, and one of the best overall.
That Zenith Williams is not a field scope.

Luca said:
If $800 is your limit, get the Pentax 65mm ED with and XW eyepiece. Best scope for the money, and one of the best overall.

I think what you meant to say was that the WO telescope is not a conventional spotting scope. It is very much a 'field' scope. Astronomers use these things all over the world in the field.

Telescopes are usually knocked because they aren't water proof (cameras are??), they are heavier and they aren't quite as rugged as their purpose built cousins. Doesn't mean they cannot be used for digiscoping.

Actually, I responded in the first place because I saw nighthawk (was thinking stellarview) and had telescope on the brain. Didn't notice he was talking about a swift spotting scope....apologies for muddying the waters.

:t:

Luca said:

streatham said:
just had a look this week at the Brunton Eterna 80ed - I was really suprised how bright and sharp the image from this scope seemed, having always kind of written Brunton off. IMO Worth adding to the list of any scopes you are thinking of going to have a look at.

birdeast said:
Check out the William Optics Zenithstar II ED. This is the 80mm ED scope that I purchased for entry into the world of digiscoping. They are promoting the scope at USD598 with a free diagonal. You will have to get a 1.25 eyepiece. I am looking at Siebert Optics....good eyepieces at a good price.

Here's a link: http://www.william-optics.com/woweb...D/features0.htm

I haven't had a chance to digiscope with it yet. The first thing I am planning to do is use as a prime lens. There is another thread under digiscoping where an individual has posted some amazing shots taken using a telescope (as prime lens) with a D70.

I probably shouldn't promote the telescope idea so much until I am personaly able to verify how well they work, but I really am confident that a low cost scope like the WO Zenithstar is a promising alternative to the expensive spotting scopes that most of us cant afford anyway.

Just my opinions....take it for what its worth....I have absolutely no experience digiscoping.....

birdeast said:
I think what you meant to say was that the WO telescope is not a conventional spotting scope. It is very much a 'field' scope. Astronomers use these things all over the world in the field.

Telescopes are usually knocked because they aren't water proof (cameras are??), they are heavier and they aren't quite as rugged as their purpose built cousins. Doesn't mean they cannot be used for digiscoping.

Actually, I responded in the first place because I saw nighthawk (was thinking stellarview) and had telescope on the brain. Didn't notice he was talking about a swift spotting scope....apologies for muddying the waters.

I appreciate all of your input everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back