• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual American Crow Behavior (Canada) (1 Viewer)

mikeivan

Needing some help. I am pretty sure this was an American Crow, probably a juvenile.
IMG_3846-5x7.jpg

He perched in the spuce tree behind our rental unit in Canmore, Alberta last month and did something I have never seen or heard before. I am hoping someone with more bird knowledge can explain it to me. About four times he fluffed up his feathers, leaned over forward and made the most melodious sound, something like fluid being poured from a large bottle or a bubbling mountain stream. I have never heard anything like it, very musical, almost bell like. Each performance lasted just a few seconds, less than five. Of course, I was so amazed, I did not capture an image of the behavior. He was close, less than 20 feet. A parent crow may have been nearby, not sure.
Any information will be much appreciated, thanks.

American Crows do have some strange calls that only they make. Even the closely related Northwestern Crow does not make similar calls.

The one I hear the most is a rattling call similar to the one you discribed; "tettle-ttttttTok" is the best I can phonetically represent it. Then there's the one I heard go something like; "tokk-TING!. I've only ever heard that once but it was memorable, almost African Grey Parrot like.

Thanks

American Crows do have some strange calls that only they make. Even the closely related Northwestern Crow does not make similar calls.

The one I hear the most is a rattling call similar to the one you discribed; "tettle-ttttttTok" is the best I can phonetically represent it. Then there's the one I heard go something like; "tokk-TING!. I've only ever heard that once but it was memorable, almost African Grey Parrot like.

Thank you both for the replies. I think you are on the right track and perhaps the other crow was a mate not a parent. How I wish I could have recorded that call, you would not believe how musical it was. My lucky day for hearing it, not once but four times.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back