• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ospreys at Kielder (1 Viewer)

Cartman

Hopefully we will have a pair of Ospreys back at Kielder by the end of the month. The nest has been refurbished and they have a webcam set up too.

I think this year there will be 2 viewing points so as this is my nearest Osprey site I have everything crossed that they return this year. They raised 3 chicks last year so things look good.

http://www.visitkielder.com/site/kielder-ospreys

Can't wait for Osprey season, love watching the LofL and Loch Garten webcams. Last year was brilliant

Beatrice, one of the Ospreys tracked by Roy Dennis has started back. She only goes to Spain, though, and had got as far as the south of France.

Beatrice, one of the Ospreys tracked by Roy Dennis has started back. She only goes to Spain, though, and had got as far as the south of France.

that's great, she will be here by the weekend then :t: it's strange that some birds only go as far as southern Spain and yet others fly thousands of dangerous miles to Africa

Wonder if EJ makes it back this year to Loch Garden and who will be her mate this year, will be amazed if Marge makes it to the Loch of the Lowes again. Would this be her 20th year nesting here?

Last edited:
that's great, she will be here by the weekend then :t: it's strange that some birds only go as far as southern Spain and yet others fly thousands of dangerous miles to Africa

Wonder if EJ makes it back this year to Loch Garden and who will be her mate this year, will be amazed if Marge makes it to the Loch of the Lowes again. Would this be her 20th year nesting here?

Some go even further. Ospreys from Finland can go to South Africa. See Harri at: Harri

I supose some Ospreys are going to buck the trend like Beatrice has done and try to winter further north in southern Spain, after all why fly another 1000 miles when you can winter perfectly well in sunny old Spain. The problem is when they get weather like this year and Spain gets a load of snow! which is probably why Ospreys in general have evolved to migrate that extra distance to get the guarantee of warm weather.

I supose some Ospreys are going to buck the trend like Beatrice has done and try to winter further north in southern Spain, after all why fly another 1000 miles when you can winter perfectly well in sunny old Spain. The problem is when they get weather like this year and Spain gets a load of snow! which is probably why Ospreys in general have evolved to migrate that extra distance to get the guarantee of warm weather.

It would be good to know how many ospreys overwinter in Spain and Portugal. One of the first ospreys ever tracked by Roy Dennis viz. S06 surprised people by staying in Spain. See http://www.ospreys.org.uk/Satmaps/S06amap.htm

I do believe that this bird got mentioned in the last year or so.

U06 wintered in Portugal. See http://www.ospreys.org.uk/Satmaps/U06map.htm

SSK may have wintered in Portugal. See http://www.ospreys.org.uk/Satmaps/SSKmap.htm

SSK is reported, on page 103 of "Life of Ospreys" (Roy Dennis) as alive and well and breeding in Scotland. Apparently she may still have the transmitter attached.

Osprey at Kielder on Saturday. Yet to be confirmed if it was one of the adults from last year. It could just of easily been a bird stopping off on it's way up to jockland...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back