• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bempton Cliffs (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
Seeing as I'm going to miss the BF bash at Bempton I thought I'd pay a visit today.Luckily the weather stopped fine though there was quite a breeze blowing that made digiscoping a bit difficult but my results can be seen in the gallery.
Got there around 9.30 and after kitting up headed for the cliffs Skylark,Blackbird and Meadow pipit were seen on the walk down to the cliffs.I decided to head for the eastern end where the Gannets nest.Plenty of activity going on with Kittiwake,Razorbill,Guillemot,Gannet and Fulmars flying past.Once I reach the Gannetry I set up the scope and camera and got snapping.A few Herring Gulls were flying around and a group of Goldfinches flew past over the fields behind me,a solitary Puffin was seen flying towards the cliffs before disappearing from my view below me(the only one I saw).While walking to the western end a pair of Reed Buntings were seen in the fields along with Jackdaw and Pied Wagtail.From each of the viewing points along the way there were plenty of Razorbills,Guillemots,Fulmars,Kittiwakes and Gannets to be seen on the ledges of the cliffs below.A scan over the fields at the western end produced Swallow,Swift and Linnet flying by.As I walked back to the car park a House Martin flew towards me gliding over the cliff tops.Back at the car park I had a quick walk round the dell to see if I could see anything of the Long-eared Owl thats been around but drew a blank seeing only Dunnock,Wren,Robin Great Tit,Tree Sparrow and Chaffinch.I had my lunch and decided to give the Dell one more try before I departed.Things were looking good a bunch of birders were observing something,but was it the owl?It was and how I'd missed it in the first place I'll never know but it was giving fantastic views and I managed to get some decent shots of it.Back to the car and back home one very happy birder indeed I may have missed out on the forthcoming BF bash but I'd had a great day getting 10 year ticks in the bag as well.

Geoff :t:

What a great day you had Geoff to compensate for missing the first BF bash oop North! I've looked at your pictures in the Gallery and you have some superb stuff. Glad it worked out for you.

Peter

I too saw the pictures and they are corkers! I am glad you managed to get out to see the Gannets after all as you mentioned to me earlier.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back