• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving subjects(Action shots) (1 Viewer)

Gaz Shilton

United Kingdom
Having a lot of fun with my Nikon Coolpix 4500, however when I try to get moving birds the camera takes longer than I wish to take the picture and by that time the subject has gone or I get blurred pictures of the birds leaving.
I have the camera set on P mode at the moment. The other modes don't give the desired effects I would like,(maybe it's just me)
How could I get the pictures I would like? Without all the blurredness.
Any advice would help out no-end.... :frog:

Very difficult with digiscoping... Maybe try panning the subject - but again very difficult technique; in fact - nigh on impossible in practice! If you succeed, the background will be blurred but much of the subject will be sharp and you will achieve a visual effect of speed. You might also try shutter priority and choose as high a speed as you can.

Last edited:
Hi Gaz,

A toughie one with digiscoping. I had some success last Sept with getting some Marsh Harrier flight shots. I had the camera set on A, with the shutter half depressed to lock the settings and used the scope focus adjustment whilst I panned the bird and took sequences of shots. Some come out and some don't. Doing it over a longer distance helps as well with not having to pan too fast, but it is obviously easier with larger birds that are slow moving or gliding.

Last edited:
scampo said:
Very difficult with digiscoping... Maybe try panning the subject - but again very difficult technique; in fact - nigh on impossible in practice! If you succeed, the background will be blurred but much of the subject will be sharp and you will achieve a visual effect of speed. You might also try shutter priority and choose as high a speed as you can.

.....and practice, practice, practice!

Andy.

Thanyou v.much, have also been trying on ISO 200-400
think I'm getting there slowly but surely. As they say,practice makes permanent...

Indeed, Andy or even practise, practise, practise!

(-:

Sorry - but I am an English teacher, after all!

Erm... practise = verb; practice = noun.

Sorry! I know, I'm a pedant at heart. BTW, Andy, as a computer wizz have you noticed that when you click on a hotlink to a page on this forum direct from the email, it doesn't always give an updated page? Or is it my IE?

Last edited:
scampo said:
BTW, Andy, as a computer wizz have you noticed that when you click on a hotlink to a page on this forum direct from the email, it doesn't always give an updated page? Or is it my IE?

I don't generate extra traffic by using the email notifications for 'normal' use. Nor do I use IE (or OE) if I can help it; for security reasons.

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back