• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help for a novice please - vignetting (1 Viewer)

kennygee

I am a complete novice and after buying a Nikon digiscope kit (CP4500+Nikon 60mm spotting scope, 20X e/p, adapters etc) I have joined the forum to get tips and hopefully increase my digiscoping enjoyment.

My question is: is it normal to experience vignetting with the above kit? I find I have to zoom in to about 50% on the optical zoom to remove the problem.

Should the rubber eyecup be left on the scope or removed when the kit is assembled? I have left it on (folded back) at present as it may be bad practise in terms of risking scratching the optics. Is this contributing to the vignetting.

I'd like to thank Andy for the thread on camera settings as I was a bit lost before reading it.

This is my first post, I hope its not too basic for you experts.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here.
The amount of vignetting varies depending upon the scope/eyepiece used and how close you can get your camera lens to the eyepiece. Inevitably there will be vignetting with most birding scopes, with some set-ups it goes quite quickly as you zoom up with the camera.

If the rubber eye-cup is preventing your camera lens from getting as close to the eyepiece glass as possible, then you will have to make the decision on whether it's worth removing the eye-cup completely... if it makes for a substantial improvement in vignetting, then it's probably worth removing.

regards,
Andy

Thanks Andy - I'll try it with the cup removed. Hopefully it will improve. If I were more experienced I'd know whether the degree of vignetting is normal. I suspect judging from your reply it probably is.

It may be normal for that eyepiece/scope combination, Nikon eyepieces are not known for great eye-relief, which can be a major factor with vignetting. Generally I'd expect vignetting to disappear between a 1/4 and 1/3 of camera zoom range on the more suitable scopes/eyepieces.
cheers,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back