• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do I "need" a full sized pair of binoculars? (1 Viewer)

LauraL

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice (or simply their opinion) about getting a second pair of binoculars. My only pair is a Zeiss 8x20. I have been nothing but happy with them, but I started wondering if it might be nice to have a full sized pair too (my birthday is coming up after all...). Is it really worth the expense to get a full sized pair? Will I really see much more or have a better experience with, for instance, an 8x40 or 10x42? I started wondering if this is just a case of binocular lust and perhaps I am just using excuses to justify the purchase of a new pair of binoculars. I live in a fairly small town without many stores or opportunities to test different binoculars to see what my personal opinion is, and neither do I know anyone who has a good full sized pair that I could borrow. I wanted to see if I could benefit from some other birders' experiences.

Hi Laura. I'm sure you know the technical differences between 8x20 and 8x42 so I will only report my experience comparing Nikon HGL 8x20(which I bought) and 8x42. The main difference is obviously brightness, so if you use your bins on cloudy days and in dark places, bigger will be much better. The second most important difference for me is ease of use. Theres no comparison, the bigger one is A LOT easier to align with your eves and for observing for longer periods.

Besides that there were no significant differences optically. The larger Nikon had more visible CA and maybe it resolves better over long distances, but I didn't notice it (resolution was almost the same for me) as I tested both bins in a city on a sunny and snowy winter day.

I hope my experience may give you some insight on this subject, but all of the above are subjective and remember that I was comparing two binoculars of the same series. It may be invalid for comparing two bins from different manufacturers.

To me there is a huge difference between an 8x20 and a 8x32 that would would notice immeadiately. Going from 8x32 to 8x42 or 10x42 isn't that much more dramatic a change, but the problem is you can get some reasonably priced 8x42s or 10x42s, the Zen Ray EDs for instance, where a high quality 8x32 is still pretty expensive.

So to me, weight-wise I would upsize to a good 8x32 in a heartbeat, if cost was a big issue or the extra size and weight didn't bother you, I would try one of those 8x42 Chinese EDs, or maybe a Vortex. I forgot to mention some of the excellent porros such as the Leupold Yosemite or Cascade. I love my little 6x30 Yosemites. My 8x32 Nikon SE is my favorite bin, but they are no longer made, are fairly expensive and they are not waterproof.

Hope that helps,
John

I have a pair of Swaro 8x20's that go where I go. My true birding bino's are Pentax 10x42's, much better for birding.

I would like to get a high quality pair in 8x32!

What you need is more or less to be determined on you you use the binocular. If you are perfectly happy with what you have as compared to how you use it, you may need nothing else. However, my experience with the smaller compacts is that they are best suited for an small compact binocular to always have with you. Usually the further away you are viewing the less satisfactory they are. How much money you want to spend on an additional binocular will also influence recommendations.

My next step up recommendation is a Swift Eaglet 7x36 or a Vortex Viper 8x32. One good extra step up in the 32mm class from those is the Meopta Meostar 8x32. Unless you want to spend the money for a big name glass. Up next from the Swift would a ZEN ED or a Promaster Infinity Elite ELX ED.

Size of the binocular would be of some consideration here. If you want noticeably bigger to hold and view with and still want a reasonably compact size, a 32-36mm glass would probably be what I'd recommend.

I have both an 8x 20 Zeiss (like yours) & an 8.5 x 42 & find the latter much pleasanter to use, so much so that I only pick up the Zeiss when I have no other choice. If an 8 x20 is all you know (& it's of good quality as the Zeiss is) you'll probably be satisfied with it, but once you've had experience with a full-sized glass I doubt you'd ever want to go back. The problem is not the optics but ease of view which is much better in an 8 x 32 (& better yet in an 8 x 42) than in an 8 x 20.

I think the others have touched upon the various issues to compare between an 8x20 and an 8x42. Unless we are talking Alpha level binoculars I personally find a huge difference in the 8x20 vs. 8x42 comparison.

I would choose the 8x42s for one simple reason....eye comfort level. The larger exit pupil allows your eyes to roam around the image much, much more than something like an 8x20. To me this is easier than having to constantly move the smaller binocular around to find a new object to focus on.

Throw in the fact that most 32/42 mm models have a wider field of view and a brighter image as well.

Price is going to determine what to suggest. If you don't want to give up compactness completely and if you want to find something comparable to your Zeiss then maybe the 8x30 Zeiss Conquest....or even the 8x32 Meopta Meostar....both are in the $500-$600 price range (the latter is on sale at one location). They won't have quite the comfort level of an 8x42 but they come very close.

Last edited:
8x28 is the smallest that gives a "big" feel, and is still compact, just a few models
8x32 can be very compact, lots of models..what I recommend

Laura,
This is an unlikely place to find the advice that you don't need a new binocular. But in this case, I think you would really enjoy something more macroscopic. Owls and stars are a lot of fun for me, and my 8x42 does a nice job on both. You might NOT need something bigger, however, if you only use the 8x20 in bright daylight, and you value its very small size and weight even more than you might value the more manageable grip and quick eye positioning of something larger.

I have actually seen reviews complaining about the weight of a 21 oz. 8x32! Maybe you will feel that way, who knows? Even an 8x32 will seem huge in comparison. I came to an 8x42 roof via a 7x50 porro, so that seems pretty small and light to me. So, perspective is important. But you won't know until you try one out.

Sportsman's Warehouse in Albuquerque has a good selection of binoculars (the only in the area that I'm aware of), and that would be a good place to try something bigger. Just be sure to wear camo and a big Leatherman on your belt so they'll think you're the real deal. Just kidding!

But, let's be fair here. Do you think we all need 8x20s?
Ron

Last edited:
"Laura,
This is an unlikely place to find the advice that you don't need a new binocular."

So true! Maybe I have a secret desire to be talked into this. I really appreciate everyone's input. It sounds like those of you who have both find a larger size useful and enjoyable. I'm also collecting some good arguments if I decide to try to sell the idea to my husband...

The portability of my compacts is valuable for me because with two small boys I currently have limited time for dedicated birding. Being able to take them with me everywhere has enabled me to see some lovely birds I would have otherwise missed. But on "official" birding excursions I sometimes imagine that a little more reach or a little more light might have helped. And it usually is, of course, when the birds are at a distance and/or the light is low.

I'd like to keep my compacts. I am more interested in something that might complement them. I certainly don't think everyone needs 8x20s, but for a mother of small children they are very useful! (I can hold the baby and the binoculars at the same time.) I do, however, envision a time in the future when I will be able to do more dedicated birding and I might like a larger pair.

There is no real rush with this, but I recently got a small check from my grandparents' estate so it is a rare opportunity to persuade my husband. I was thinking that a 10x magnification might make sense and be an easy sell to myself and my husband because it feels harder to justify another 8x when I already have one. But then I have read that many people seem to think you can actually see more with a good 8x or even a 7x. Any opinions about that? Obviously it must be mostly personal preference, but getting input from experienced people is always helpful. There must be many threads on that subject but it was such a jungle when I tried to find them.

Thank you for the tip about the Albuquerque store, Ron. I'll have to check it out. I tried to do a google search for something in ABQ but my kids had lost patience with Mamma on the computer by that time so I gave up!

The 8x vs 10x issue has been debated here many times, so you will get no concensus. But 10x is difficult to hand hold in small size, and even more so with the baby on the arm.

There are very few 9x models out there, so I do not have a final word on that. But a Pentax 9x28 exists, might be the closest thing to what you have. But perhaps not quite as good optics. Pocket binos are a difficult area for makers. 8x32s are relatively easy. Even a Bushnell Excursion 8x32 is quite good, compared to the cheap 8x25 pocket models, Nikon etc.

The portability of my compacts is valuable for me because with two small boys I currently have limited time for dedicated birding. Being able to take them with me everywhere has enabled me to see some lovely birds I would have otherwise missed.
I'd like to keep my compacts. I am more interested in something that might complement them. I certainly don't think everyone needs 8x20s, but for a mother of small children they are very useful! (I can hold the baby and the binoculars at the same time.) I do, however, envision a time in the future when I will be able to do more dedicated birding and I might like a larger pair.

Laura,

With that description, I'd advise you to keep the compacts too. Since you have evolved a niche for them, it will probably exist for quite awhile, even after the kids get too big to pack around.

I have always thought a trio of binoculars would cover just about everything for me. The compact like you have for when small size is needed.

The next step is filled by something like my Swift Eaglet 7x36, because there are times when I don't need a true pocket size and want something smaller than a full size binocular.

Then there is a full size member of the trio, which at the moment is mostly filled by my ZEN ED 8x43. For the sake of discussion of the discussion with your husband the Swift will cost about $410 and the ZEN ED about $360.

The equivalent sizes in the Zeiss (or other european brands) you have will be considerably more. So I suppose it depends on how small the check from your grandmother is and how much of it may be disposable toward optics. At the price of the ZEN, you may be able to get your husband one in addition to yours.

Last edited:
Just many have said, it is not the end of the world if you don't have a full size binoculars. I do find it is easier for me to use a full size one than a mid-size or compact binoculars. The size and weight helps stabilize the image better. The view is more relax with larger glasses for better resolution.

Hi Laura

Like you, I recently upgraded from a pair of compact binoculars (Leica 8x20) to a full size pair of Hawke Frontier (8x43). I agree with other posters that it's not a case of either/or but additional; I think a full size pair is essential if you're going to be using them for extended periods of time, when the light is not so good and the birds are far away. I love my compacts and I take them with me when I go for walks in the country, but not solely with the intention of watching birds.

I bought the Hawke Frontier binoculars a couple of weeks ago and I cannot praise them enough. They are a reasonable weight (and obviously they're much bigger) but they don't feel uncomfortable to use and I think the image quality is exceptional for the price (£300 (or $450?). Several other users of this forum also rate them highly.

But the best thing you can do is try lots of different pairs and make your own decison. Good luck!

Paul

Hi Laura, The recommendations for the Hawke 8x43ED (or the very similar Promaster and Zen models) are based on best value for money, reasonable portability/weight, and very good optics. I'd certainly go for the 8x rather than the 10x, for easier viewing. Since you are used to your Zeiss 8x20, you might also consider a mid-size lightweight Zeiss (18oz) such as the 8x30T* Conquest, least expensive/smallest Zeiss in their mid-price range. It is quite a lot smaller than the Hawke/Promaster/Zen and is also optically excellent. Good advice, as others have said, is 'try before you buy' if at all possible, to find the one best suited to you. Not so much a dilemma, more a happy choice!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back