• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it just me? (1 Viewer)

Well, it's at least part that way with me too. I usually use roofs, especially since I got the Promaster and ZEN, and especially when I have more than a binocular with me while out. But since I recently got a comparable porro in the 804 Swift Audubon, I find myself using that quite a bit. I find that going from one to the other sometimes is a nice change of pace. I recently ordered a new Swift Audubon 820ED, just to have a top end porro around.

By and large, I do like the feel of the porro prism binocular. But, I am not small, and I have pretty large hands.

I always liked roofs, provided they are 32mm or more. I never quite understood all the complaints of where to put the fingers. I never think about it. I have rather long fingers, my hands are not wide.

Porros, I have one pair. Holding is OK. Weight may be an issue.

Last edited:
I too prefer porro to roof. Ever Since I got Nikon SE 10x42, CZJ 8x30 and 10x50 and Swift Ultralite 10x42 I am waiting for a optics company to come out with waterproof porro of alpha class optics with sufficient eye relief for eye glass wearers, and truely wide field if view (70 deg.)

I think it depends on the binocular. My 7x50 Fujinon is a beast, not very easy to hold and look through, while my old 7x35 Leitz Trinovid is the most comfortable bin I have ever held. My 8x32SE is easily more comfortable than the larger 8x42 Ultravids which feel better to me than 8.5x42 ELs, but I like the 8x32 EL best of all. I find the 10x42 SE ok to hold and look through. I really liked the 7x42 Zeiss Classic the one time I tried one, even though its long, while I really liked the 8x32 BNs I had, even though its short.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule, each bin is different and each face is different.

I too prefer porro to roof. Ever Since I got Nikon SE 10x42, CZJ 8x30 and 10x50 and Swift Ultralite 10x42 I am waiting for a optics company to come out with waterproof porro of alpha class optics with sufficient eye relief for eye glass wearers, and truely wide field if view (70 deg.)

Tall order, unfortunately. If you are willing to deal with admittedly shallow eye relief, the Swaro porro Classics (Habichts) in 8 x 30 and 10 x 40 configurations meet all of your other requirements, and offer breath taking views. For my eyes, the 8 x 30 Habicht porro is actually optically superior to the 8 x 30 SLC (Neu or old).

Tall order, unfortunately. If you are willing to deal with admittedly shallow eye relief, the Swaro porro Classics (Habichts) in 8 x 30 and 10 x 40 configurations meet all of your other requirements, and offer breath taking views. For my eyes, the 8 x 30 Habicht porro is actually optically superior to the 8 x 30 SLC (Neu or old).

To my eyes the 8x32SE is also superior to the 8x30 SLC, I'd like to compare an 8x30 Habicht to the SE, the Habicht beats it with it's waterproofness, if its optically equal than that could be a winner.

In my case it depends on the individual binocular. There is alot of variance in shape between 42 mm roofs not to mention 42 mm roofs compared to porros. Even the porros have a great deal of ergonomic differences.

I would agree that I can, in general, get steadier hold on the full-sized porros because my hands can wrap completely around the objective barrels. I cannot typically do that with a roof and especially the mid to smaller ones.

I have both roof and porro bins. Ergonomically, I find the porro's easier to use than the roofs.

I like porro's ergonomics also. They are generally shorter than roofs and I also seem to be able to hold them steadier. The Nikon 8x32 SE's which I have are also quite nice in the hand and light as well. Your right in a way in that the barrels are bigger and my hands wrap around them nicely.

Dennis

Folks - I agree with everything that this thread is bringing out. My hands are so large that I have to have custom gloves made. They simply engulf roofs. Hands and face construction undoubtedly have a lot to do with binocular preference. I find women with smaller hands tend to prefer roofs. I ran into one fellow whose eyes were so wide set that he couldn't use 90% of binoculars. He eventually settled for Fujinon 8x30 porros.
I have both the SE 8x32 and the Habicht 8x30 and like both. The Swarovski has chinzy rubber eye cups that are short and spring back easily. Their view is superior to any other 8 power Swarovski made IMO. Just a little bit soft on the edges but they produce wonderful colors and resolution. And they are light.! Swarovski still makes them for a reason. Great view for half the price. They are easy to handle and have that classic look. I go back and forth with them, the SE 8x32 and Zeiss 8x32 FL. My Habicht aren't rubber covered and the really cheap case which comes with them is a distraction.

I have both roof and porro bins. Ergonomically, I find the porro's easier to use than the roofs.

Which porros and roofs are you compairing? Curious

I have gotten used to both, but prefer my roofs, in that they happen to be optically better. Except for the weight, I am more comfortable holding my roofs as well.

Nice to have choices...different strokes for different folks...;)

Richard

Folks - I agree with everything that this thread is bringing out. My hands are so large that I have to have custom gloves made. They simply engulf roofs. Hands and face construction undoubtedly have a lot to do with binocular preference. I find women with smaller hands tend to prefer roofs. I ran into one fellow whose eyes were so wide set that he couldn't use 90% of binoculars. He eventually settled for Fujinon 8x30 porros.
I have both the SE 8x32 and the Habicht 8x30 and like both. The Swarovski has chinzy rubber eye cups that are short and spring back easily. Their view is superior to any other 8 power Swarovski made IMO. Just a little bit soft on the edges but they produce wonderful colors and resolution. And they are light.! Swarovski still makes them for a reason. Great view for half the price. They are easy to handle and have that classic look. I go back and forth with them, the SE 8x32 and Zeiss 8x32 FL. My Habicht aren't rubber covered and the really cheap case which comes with them is a distraction.

That just shows you how accomodating a design the Nikon SEs are. I have very small hands for a man, probably as small as most womens, and I find the Nikon SE 8x32 and to a lesser extent, the 10x42 to be my most comfortable binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back