• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boreal/Tengmalm's Owl Split...other Boreal splits? (1 Viewer)

Mysticete

United States
Something interesting that was mentioned in a tangent yesterday in population ecology was that some unpublished work by Koopman and one of the prof's former students support species. I have no idea if this has been suggested in the literature before, but I thought I would throw it out.

and speaking of this split, how many boreal species do we have left with ranges through both hemispheres of the holarctic? I have heard justification for splitting Pine Grosbeaks and Red Crossbills. Magpies, Three-toed Woodpeckers, etc have already been split. What about Bohemian Waxwings? Great Gray Owls? any others I'm missing?

The three-way split Winter - Pacific - Eurasian Wren.
Maybe Northern Hawk Owl (American is much darker than European)?
The redpolls are in a state of flux I guess!

Somewhat different, but also interesting:
Atlantic - Pacific Black-legged Kittiwake
Atlantic - Pacific Common Murre/Guillemot
Atlantic - Pacific Northern Fulmar

IIRC, Northern Fulmar was highlighted by barcode studies as a taxon that may represent two species (corresponding to Pacific and Atlantic populations)

And I don't think AOU (or BOU?) has recognized a Northern/Great Gray Shrike split

And I don't think AOU (or BOU?) has recognized a Northern/Great Gray Shrike split

No, the AOU has not.

I wonder about (Northern) Goshawk...that's another forest species so there is (next to) no interchange between the two populations on either side of the Bering Strait.

No, the AOU has not.

I wonder about (Northern) Goshawk...that's another forest species so there is (next to) no interchange between the two populations on either side of the Bering Strait.
Yup, those have been listed as a possibility too (and for a change, I've seen both taxa).

White-winged (leucoptera) and Two-barred Crossbill (bifasciata) are treated as separate species by the Dutch (as is the not very Boreal Hispaniola Crossbill (megaplaga)).

I guess the situation with Leach's might be even more complicated, with summer and winter breeders on Socorro a probable future split.

White-winged (leucoptera) and Two-barred Crossbill (bifasciata) are treated as separate species by the Dutch (as is the not very Boreal Hispaniola Crossbill (megaplaga)).

It's correct that Dutch Birding recognises Loxia megaplaga (as per IOC, BirdLife International, Cornell/Clements and AOU).

But DB does not (yet) treat bifasciata as a species.

Richard

I remember old article about wole bunch of species around E Siberia/Alaska. They all differed by DNA on the order of subspecies, but visually were identical to subspecies.

On the other hand, Siberian Red Deer and American Elk are almost identical by DNA - and split goes between both and European Red Deer. So evidently forest animals can disperse pretty well. ;)

I recall that old article, which was posted somewhere here. Most of the birds in that list though were split as species, with only a few exceptions...

On a tangent, the Leach's Storm Petrel situation is also pretty complicated off of the Pacific, with two populations that are morphologically distinct (dark rump versus white rump) and breed at different times of the year on the same Baja/Socal islands. I have heard it argued that they probably represent different species, but I am not sure anyone has published or done the work yet. Certainly I would say their is a stronger case there then in some of the Atlantic islands, given the obvious morphological dissimiliarities

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back