• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya & Rwanda - Firefinches (1 Viewer)

1. Seen in Amboselli NP - September 2017
2. Seen in Kigali, Rwanda - September 2017

African vs Red-billed Firefinch

I am leaning toward African for both.

Attachments

• Firefinches.docx
    716.7 KB · Views: 45
I'm not long back from Rwanda, and I found both these firefinch species hard to tell apart there. I reckon both of these are male Red-billed, as they show quite a lot of red on lower mandible, and don't have black vent / undertail coverts. I am far from sure. I'd like to see more red on the bill, like the illustrations in the book, although I know Red-billed has a grey culmen (looks like the whole upper mandible is pretty grey). I would also like to see a good photo of a female African (Blue-billed) Firefinch for comparison.
I'm quite glad it wasn't just me that was struggling with this pair!
Bar-breasted Firefinch shouldn't occur anywhere near either location from the distribution maps I've seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back