• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too good to be true? (1 Viewer)

black crow

http://www.amazon.com/Alpen-10x25-a...M0/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&qid=1326717579&sr=8-52

Man I love a good deal. I still have it in my head that I want some knock around compacts that I will never worry about breaking, almost always be willing to take along anywhere but still have decent optical quality. I'd still like to own a 10x bin also for a few special occasions like looking at seals out on the rookeries at the ocean or something where I need to reach out a little more.

These bins are dirt cheap compared to most of the others out there. But what is hard to believe is when you look at the FOV on the 10x and then realize that the 8x is a whopping 430 ft. That seems unheard of in a reverse porro compact and on top of that they are water proof, fog proof and weigh 11oz. All the reviews seem to be saying the optical quality is up to the Olympus etc. All that for $46 bucks?????

I know next to nothing about this company but have seen them mentioned here. Can anyone explain how the stats on these can be so good and the price so low? Has anyone here used a pair?

I'm having trouble resisting.

Last edited:
Maybe not. I'd be tempted on these. Reverse porros at that price will be better than roofs. I'd never personally bite on 10x of any quality at that size, but the 8x look pretty decent. Besides if you don't like them you won't be out much.

The only kicker on the 8x version is the eye relief....10 mm. For some it wouldn't be an issue but if you wear glasses.....

The 10x has a listed 16 mm of eye relief so they are more usable. For $45 it seems like a no-brainer.

I may order the 8x's.

;)

Maybe not. I'd be tempted on these. Reverse porros at that price will be better than roofs. I'd never personally bite on 10x of any quality at that size, but the 8x look pretty decent. Besides if you don't like them you won't be out much.

Why not the 10x with that FOV? I know they will be darker but on bright days that shouldn't be a problem.

I already own some non water proof, narrow FOV travelites in 8x.

Why not the 10x with that FOV? I know they will be darker but on bright days that shouldn't be a problem.

I already own some non water proof, narrow FOV travelites in 8x.

For one thing the 10x will be dim, but you already realize that, so that can be put aside.

The small exit pupil requires much more precise eye placement, making them possibly much more finicky to use.

Next they are small and harder to hold. all binoculars of this size, not just 10x. But with the enlarged magnification and inherent increase in image shake, coupled with the requirement for more precise eye placement and the diminutive size making them harder to hold will also magnify all bad things. The will look dimmer, be harder to get right relative to your eye, they will shake more, and as a final result you may likely see less with 10x, not more. The increase reach of a 10x, IMO, is non existent with less than a 10x42. However, there are others who have and like 10x25 who will tell me I'm full of beans. It gets down to you trying one for yourself I think. Looks like you have the itch and this is a relatively cheap scratching post.

Eye relief numbers seem iffy

I don't understand how an 8x25 design would have a 10mm eye relief, while the 10x25 variant of the same glass provides 16mm.
Could someone please explain or is it just a typo?

The only kicker on the 8x version is the eye relief....10 mm. For some it wouldn't be an issue but if you wear glasses.....

The 10x has a listed 16 mm of eye relief so they are more usable. For $45 it seems like a no-brainer.

I may order the 8x's.

;)

If you get them before I do how about a review. I'm a big fan.

OK, everytime I get close to 10x I get talked down|=@|

Whoa...dude, I'm not talking down to you, or putting you down for that matter ;). You asked and I gave you my opinion. I also suggested you need to try for yourself too. As to etuduant's comment please note he is not talking about larger magnification and compact glass. Plus the Canon is image stabilized. That Canon is a sweet glass too btw. In fact if you want a smaller glass for what you describe the Canon 8x25 with IS may be worth a look, but you won't get it for $50 either.

OK, everytime I get close to 10x I get talked down|=@|

I dunno, I have 10x42 and would highly recommend them. Certainly wouldnt talk anyone OUT of a 10x on principle. However, they arent compact. I liked my 12x50 until I started looking through some better glass. I'm not afraid of higher mags as I feel it has its place. I did a lot of side by side with 6, 7, 8, 10, and 12x at the shore this summer and in large swamps, and the 12x proved its muster peering across the bay and across the swamp.

HOWEVER, a 10x25 has a teensy EP, and for me that isnt as enjoyable an experience.

As mentioned in my "why no low power compact" thread, i dont get 10xsmall objective thing. now a nice 6 or 7x compact... different story imo.

I guess I didn't look around good enough. My wife found the little Alpen 8x25. This is a much older model, 8 yrs. or so. When I try to focus the IPD changes, I have to use two fingers to focus. Of course the new ones might be better. This one was not used much and is better than no binocular.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back