• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New measure of success.....or failure (2 Viewers)

Grampy Bustard

Having had a particularly poor night recently with 2 x 15w actinics out in ancient coppice and woodland, when unfortunately it was a bit breezy and a bright moon, I caught very few moths. How should one measure the level of success against effort, and in an idl e moment considered dividing number od moths by watts available. That night was .5 moths per watt, which isn't too clever. I think my best has been 7.5 m.p.w., but I know of much better figures elsewhere. Common chaps - rise to the challenge.

Last night I found two large yellow underwings laying eggs in our garden (on rush and verbena). As I didn't have the trap on, that equates to an infinite no. of moths per watt (unless you count the wattage of the moon ;) )
Ken
PS The LYU eggs were laid in an incredibly precise formation, just as if you laid out snooker balls in the triangle.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back