• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-breasted Merganser pix (1 Viewer)

Ahh, very nice. I just saw a pair on Lake Ontario near Toronto a few days ago. Unfortunately I was not so close to see all the details in your photos. Lovely bird.

Scott

RB Mergansers

cavan wood said:
Ahh, very nice. I just saw a pair on Lake Ontario near Toronto a few days ago. Unfortunately I was not so close to see all the details in your photos. Lovely bird.

Scott

Thanks Scott. They really are beautiful. We also have Hooded Mergansers around here but boy are they shy. As soon as you set up your equipment they hustle off into the reeds. Also they are predominantly fresh water ducks and not nearly as common as the RB. I was just watching (again) David Attenborough's Life Of Birds and was surprised to see that something like 80% of all the Barrow's Goldeneyes breed in BC, Canada! I know you're on the other side of Canada but you guys have some real gems up there.

Carol in CA

bird by intuition (which means be a damn good guesser)

carol gbh said:
I was just watching (again) David Attenborough's Life Of Birds

I hope they make him King of England soon as he's not so young now - wonderful man who's calm old school (but enthusiastic) approach takes you on fantastic journeys....rather than beating you about the head with snakes, blatantly inventing "dangerous moments" and tormenting creatures as the new wave presenters do.

We had a pair of RB Megansers visit for a few days at the local reserve - they were so 'punk' looking.... but really upset the Little egrets who chased them around.

carol gbh said:
Thanks Scott. They really are beautiful. We also have Hooded Mergansers around here but boy are they shy. As soon as you set up your equipment they hustle off into the reeds. Also they are predominantly fresh water ducks and not nearly as common as the RB. I was just watching (again) David Attenborough's Life Of Birds and was surprised to see that something like 80% of all the Barrow's Goldeneyes breed in BC, Canada! I know you're on the other side of Canada but you guys have some real gems up there.

Carol in CA

bird by intuition (which means be a damn good guesser)

I've seen hooded merganser in the creek beside my yard (and I think they actually nested just downstream a bit) and I've seen the common goldeneye locally, and I've even been to BC a couple of times, but alas, I've never seen a Barrow's Goldeneye. My favorite is the wood duck though, which also visits my creek in the spring.

Scott

We get all three species of mergs here. Yesterday I took pictures of a male and several female Commons on the river behind my place. There were are lots of C. Mergs hanging out back there. I'm not sure yet if the pictures are any good. I'll be checking them if I ever stop reading BF.;)
Barrow's are here on a regular basis and are usually not too hard to find. Here's a link to a picture of group from My Gallery..
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/40995/sort/1/cat/500/page/4

Last edited:
Here are some shots of female C. Mergs from yesterday. Not great pics but the best of a bad lot. :-C

Attachments

• DSCN0559.2.jpg
    DSCN0559.2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0556.2.jpg
    DSCN0556.2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 85
We were lucky enough to get fairly close to Hooded Mergs (the first (and so far only) I've seen so far) the other weekend at Lagunitas Lake in Marin County, CA - lovely birds, them mergansers! Saw several commons (one, my first drake) in the same lake, but I've only ever seen two female RB's, and no drakes, in the Bay Area, though.

Those mergansers sure look cold in your neck of the woods, Dan!

Rgds,
_Adam

Attachments

• CRW_4449.jpg
    CRW_4449.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 110
  • CRW_4474.jpg
    CRW_4474.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 103
  • CRW_4009.jpg
    CRW_4009.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 83
adampaul said:
We were lucky enough to get fairly close to Hooded Mergs (the first (and so far only) I've seen so far) the other weekend at Lagunitas Lake in Marin County, CA - lovely birds, them mergansers! Saw several commons (one, my first drake) in the same lake, but I've only ever seen two female RB's, and no drakes, in the Bay Area, though.

Those mergansers sure look cold in your neck of the woods, Dan!

Rgds,
_Adam
Good work. I'm still trying to get good Hooded shots.

snowyowl said:
Good work. I'm still trying to get good Hooded shots.

I LOVE Hooded Mergansers - the drake is spectacular. Good shots Dan. Up in Marin? Do you ever go to the Marin Headlands or Golden Gate Raptor Observatory - they have a great website.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back