• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Apartment Complex (1 Viewer)

nctexasbirder

young birder
I live in an apartment complex but there is a small wood of hackberry trees in the NW corner lucky me ;) since Aug. 19th there have been Yellow Warblers there, i am glad that there is ANY warblers here, the commoners are Mockingbirds, a Cardinal or two frequently, House Finches, i am hoping for winter sparrows..., today saw Common Nighthawks, Chimney Swifts, swallows in cloudy conditions, has been raining today.

I live in north-central TX which is not that rich in birds compared to the southern parts, primarily because of too much stinkin development in DFW area....any other birders from here? :hi:

nctexasbirder said:
I live in an apartment complex but there is a small wood of hackberry trees in the NW corner lucky me ;) since Aug. 19th there have been Yellow Warblers there, i am glad that there is ANY warblers here, the commoners are Mockingbirds, a Cardinal or two frequently, House Finches, i am hoping for winter sparrows..., today saw Common Nighthawks, Chimney Swifts, swallows in cloudy conditions, has been raining today.

I live in north-central TX which is not that rich in birds compared to the southern parts, primarily because of too much stinkin development in DFW area....any other birders from here? :hi:

also yesterday and the day before I heard a Downy Woodpecker calling around here, a rare bird in these poor suburbs, no luck today :-C

Keep birding your patch over and over. Just like any park or open space, you would be surprised what birds will move through over time. It takes constant monitoring through the seasons to gain an appreciation for migration. Even in a relatively small space.

Today I saw a male Baltimore Oriole foraging in the leafy trees. In the sunlight he looked positively golden. This golden bird with a dark head flies from one tree to the next in full sunlight :D I was like OH MY GOSH what is that!? Found him foraging after ten minutes. Also heard Downy Woodpecker whinnying several hundred yards east of my position in the NE corner.

I was at Stillwater and birded a couple of places close to the university. I found some Yellow Warblers also and a Downey. I also saw a Summer Tanager for the first time in my local patch of pecan trees. It is great when you get a little surprise amount the mockingbirds, cardinals and blackbirds.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back