• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When do they leave Northern Illinois and Indiana? (1 Viewer)

kilian

Hi, I have found conflicting information as to when hummingbirds leave Northern Illinois. I thought they were hear through September, but the people at the local feeder store told me to take down my feeders. This is odd, because I still have hummingbirds here; one just drove me out of the yard. In any case, the people at the store seemed not to believe I had still seen them, but they've always been helpful and informative in the past. Who to believe?

Hi kilian,
You can check ebird for records,
Also, here's a link for >Journey North< can use their past season graphics in same manner as ebird.

I'm perhaps 300 miles south, and swamped with mostly juveniles, and enough adult females also. No males for the past day and half of light. Here, I've routinely seen them into October. Lakes up there, are a huge factor in prevailing weather. Something brisk, can be the tipping point of southward movement.

Hi, I have found conflicting information as to when hummingbirds leave Northern Illinois. I thought they were hear through September, but the people at the local feeder store told me to take down my feeders. This is odd, because I still have hummingbirds here; one just drove me out of the yard. In any case, the people at the store seemed not to believe I had still seen them, but they've always been helpful and informative in the past. Who to believe?
This won't pertain to your area, but where I live in West Georgia, they are usually gone by around Oct.15.
On taking down the feeders, that used to be the rule here, but there have been many bandings of Western species in the winter, so now most folks keep up one feeder all winter long.

Thanks! I appreciate it. They are still here, so I'll just leave the feeders until...well, I'll keep them up for a while. Thanks again.

killian, you never know what the weather will bring so I'd keep up at least one feeder for a couple of more months. Heck, I had a Rufous last November. So you never know ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back