• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hedgehog in my garden (1 Viewer)

The Raptor

Bristol City's No.1 Fan!
Saw a Hedgehog in my garden around lunch time today. Being nocturnal I was surprised to see it, normaly they return to their nest's at dawn & appear again when it's dark. Anyone else seen a Hedgehog recently.

I have attached a few photos of the Hedgehog. Rod.

Attachments

• Hedgehog 018.jpg
    Hedgehog 018.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Hedgehog 009.jpg
    Hedgehog 009.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Hedgehog 008.jpg
    Hedgehog 008.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 188
The hedgehog looks too small, probably a young one. Suggest taking it to your local rescue centre who will look after it over the winter, otherwise it probably won't survive.

Thanks John for the advice, wish I had taken it to my local rescue centre. I just hope it shows up again, will be keeping my eye's open & my fingers crossed.

Thanks Rod.

The Raptor said:
Thanks John for the advice, wish I had taken it to my local rescue centre. I just hope it shows up again, will be keeping my eye's open & my fingers crossed.

Thanks Rod.
Hi Rod,
It has come out through the day because it appears too small to survive the winter.It needs warmth and good food until it gets good weight.I hope the link I have put helps.The cold weather will certainly take it's toll on the poor little mite. :flyaway:

http://www.software-technics.com/bhps/

Mary Evelyn said:
Hi Rod,
It has come out through the day because it appears too small to survive the winter.It needs warmth and good food until it gets good weight.I hope the link I have put helps.The cold weather will certainly take it's toll on the poor little mite. :flyaway:

http://www.software-technics.com/bhps/

Thanks Evelyn, the link was very interesting. Hope I find the poor little thing tomorrow & then I will do something to help it. Rod.

The Raptor said:
Thanks Evelyn, the link was very interesting. Hope I find the poor little thing tomorrow & then I will do something to help it. Rod.

Good luck Rod,they are so easy to look after, all they need is a very warm bed and good food :flowers: :flyaway:

Hi There :)

The Raptor said:
Saw a Hedgehog in my garden around lunch time today. Being nocturnal I was surprised to see it, normaly they return to their nest's at dawn & appear again when it's dark. Anyone else seen a Hedgehog recently.

I have attached a few photos of the Hedgehog. Rod.

I hope you managed to find the Hedgehog....If you are about reading this then it may be worth putting out some tinned cat food (Not fish based as it makes them scour) and some water in the meantime.
It does look okay, but small.
If you do manage to find it again.. weigh it. If it weighs less than 1lb 4oz then it needs to be kept in, somewhere warm so that it doesn't hibernate.

If its heavier then it should be okay... you can provide a sturdy box with hay in it for shelter, but my advice would be to take it to your nearest wildlife centre or a vet with interest in wildlife! NO hedgehog should be out during the day especially now, so it will almost definately need help
Jo

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back