• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Costa Rica Butterflies to ID, please (1 Viewer)

madamcoolpix

a.k.a. Madam Butterfly
Hi, everybody!

Here I'm posting another three Butterflies. All pictures were taken at Rancho Naturalista in August 2006.

First one is a little Blue Butterfly, that maybe is impossible to ID, I just can't do it so I leave it to the experts in this Forum. ;)

The second one is a Longwing of some kind. Perhaps that is easier but as I have not a Field Guide I can not be sure what it is. I've found in the Internet some species matching more or less this, but not completely. Any suggestion will be very appreciated.

The third one I think it is the common "Greta oto" but I don't know how to be sure. The body colours don't match the "Greta oto" pics I've found in a "Google" search.

Good luck with the guessing and thanks for your collaboration

Marian

Attachments

• DSCN1514 b.jpg
    DSCN1514 b.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN1517 b.jpg
    DSCN1517 b.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN1527 b.jpg
    DSCN1527 b.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Hi Harri!

Thanks a lot for your help, this is the second time you help me but in this ocation I'm not late to thank you! ;)

I have to thank you too for that web site of Monteverde Butterflies. It can be a great help with some of my doubts. I'm new in the world of Butterflies and my visit to Costa Rica was my first contact with Tropical species, so I'm really lost!!!

Now I see clearly my "Greta oto" was NOT a "Greta oto". I've ckecked the Monteverde web link and you are right, it looks like that "Ithomia patilla". But you don't seem to be sure, so I will do a bit of reseach to try to confirm it.

About my ex-Longwing ( :-( ) I'm really surprised it is a "Ithomia" too. This proofs how little I still know about Tropical Butterflies. That "Ithomia heraldica" suits very well my pic except that I didn't noticed the wings were translucent... maybe I just didn't pay attention...

Thanks again for your help, Harri, best wishes

Marian

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back