• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dublin Birding (1 Viewer)

You could have a look at the Little Tern Breeding Colony at Kilcoole, south of Bray. If you can take the "Dart" (suburban train) to Bray, I´d be happy to meet you and take you to Kilcoole (about 15 minutes drive).

Ireland's Eye is the only site on the Irish East coast where Puffins breed. The next sites would be the Saltees in County Wexford.

Other interesting birding sites in and around Dublin:
-Bray Head has breeding Fulmars, Guillemot, Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Kittiwake, Shag, etc. Take the DART to Bray and walk south along the coast path.
-Dalkey Island/Coliemore Harbour: Terns breeding on a small island offshore (Arctic, Common, Roseate) with Black Guillemots resting on Harbour Wall.
-Kilcoole has breeding Little Tern, Skylark, Linnet, Reed Bunting and regularly has scarce/rare birds. Offshore Manx Shearwater and Storm Petrel are regular

If you have a car, then I would recommend visiting Tacumshin Lake in County Wexford, one of the best birding sites in Ireland. The site can also be reached (with difficulty) by bus on Wednesdays and Saturdays from Dublin.

Nearby, there are regular boat trips to Great Saltee** from Kilmore Quay (leaving 11am), which offers fantastic opportunities for photographing sea birds - probably the best site "near" Dublin. Can be reached on Wednesdays/Saturdays by bus:

-Dep Dublin Busaras 06:30 (Line 2) / Arr Wexford 09:30
-Dep Wexford 10:00 (Line 383) / Arr Kilmore Quay 10:30

Return at 16:10 from Kilmore Quay to Wexford though probably better to stay overnight and get taxi back to Wexford.

**Breeding Chough, Puffin, Fulmar, all Irish Auk species, Shag, Cormorant, Gannet, etc.

Ireland's Eye is the only site on the Irish East coast where Puffins breed. The next sites would be the Saltees in County Wexford.

Other interesting birding sites in and around Dublin:
-Bray Head has breeding Fulmars, Guillemot, Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Kittiwake, Shag, etc. Take the DART to Bray and walk south along the coast path.
-Dalkey Island/Coliemore Harbour: Terns breeding on a small island offshore (Arctic, Common, Roseate) with Black Guillemots resting on Harbour Wall.
-Kilcoole has breeding Little Tern, Skylark, Linnet, Reed Bunting and regularly has scarce/rare birds. Offshore Manx Shearwater and Storm Petrel are regular

If you have a car, then I would recommend visiting Tacumshin Lake in County Wexford, one of the best birding sites in Ireland. The site can also be reached (with difficulty) by bus on Wednesdays and Saturdays from Dublin.

Nearby, there are regular boat trips to Great Saltee** from Kilmore Quay (leaving 11am), which offers fantastic opportunities for photographing sea birds - probably the best site "near" Dublin. Can be reached on Wednesdays/Saturdays by bus:

-Dep Dublin Busaras 06:30 (Line 2) / Arr Wexford 09:30
-Dep Wexford 10:00 (Line 383) / Arr Kilmore Quay 10:30

Return at 16:10 from Kilmore Quay to Wexford though probably better to stay overnight and get taxi back to Wexford.

**Breeding Chough, Puffin, Fulmar, all Irish Auk species, Shag, Cormorant, Gannet, etc.

Thx Peppershrike77, that's a piece of very helpful information!
Can you tell me:
- how do I get to Coliemore Harbour ? I haven't heard about this place.
- where precisely I can find guillemots or razorbills in Bray? I'have been there but I haven't seen those birds.

Last edited:
@dariusz: From Bray Dart Station walk south along the beach (Strand Road) and follow the coastal path around Bray Head.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=53.1987321&lon=-6.0921335&z=15&l=0&m=h

The harbour also has a few interesting birds.

Coliemore is a small harbour in Dalkey. From Dalkey Dart Station walk into Dalkey village, take the 3rd right and then follow Coliemore Road to the harbour/viewpoint.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=53.2752865&lon=-6.0968113&z=16&l=0&m=h

Thanks again!

Just be aware lads that you need a license under the Wildlife act to take photos of birds on or near the nest.

Yes. I'm sure it will be rigorously enforced, just like all other wildlife legislation.

I would be happier to see shooting tourism tackled. Italian and French hunters shooting everything that flies, abetted by Irish 'guides' who turn a blind eye, lest they jeopardize their tips or repeat or future business.

Twite.

Where are these Brent Geese from?

Hi
Bull island today:
Right Leg (Red D) Left Leg (Yellow 4)
Right Leg (Red V) Left Leg (Yellow 4)
Right Leg (Red C) Left Leg (Yellow 6)
Right Leg (White Z) Left Leg (Red 6)
Right Leg (Blue N) Left Leg (Blue 9)
Right Leg (Blue T) Left Leg (Blue 6)

The blue ringed legs might have been the other way round!
Any ideas?
regards
Paul

Hi, folks! I will be traveling to Dublin on May 12th with a tour group from Michigan, USA. Wondering what the best spots/parks for birding in the downtown area might be. We may be staying at the Belvedere Hotel or somewhere near Trinity University (not finalized yet). I'm probably the only serious birder in the group and will be limited to areas within walking distance during my free time. Working on learning the birds of the area as best I can before I arrive. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. After Dublin its on to the Giants Causeway, Belfast and then the ferry to Scotland. Hoping to add as many lifers as possible without missing the bus.

Hi, folks! I will be traveling to Dublin on May 12th with a tour group from Michigan, USA. Wondering what the best spots/parks for birding in the downtown area might be. We may be staying at the Belvedere Hotel or somewhere near Trinity University (not finalized yet). I'm probably the only serious birder in the group and will be limited to areas within walking distance during my free time. Working on learning the birds of the area as best I can before I arrive. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. After Dublin its on to the Giants Causeway, Belfast and then the ferry to Scotland. Hoping to add as many lifers as possible without missing the bus.

Any of the local parks will have the common woodland species.

If you feel like going further afield the Dart train service runs by trinity college and will bring you past some fantastic birding sites. Seabirds and coastal specials at Howth. Waders at Baldoyle Estuary (Sutton Station) and at Bull Island although its a bit more of a walk from Raheny Station. Also Booterstown Station for Booterstown Marsh and Sandymount Strand for Gulls and Terns and some waders and more sites in south county dublin......... The birdwatch Ireland website might have some free site information but you cant beat 'Where to watch birds in ireland' by Eric Dempsey for all the sites worth visiting.

Good luck

Peter

Little Egrets in north Dublin Bay

On Wednesday, 15th October, I walked the 9km along the coast road from Sutton Cross to Fairview and counted 40 little egrets. Is that a standard number for there now?

There were lots of other birds to be seen, an amazing site.

Allen

Hi Allen

I've seen a few Little Egrets over the past 3 weeks at the North mudflats bull wall, I counted 8 together last week

Lovely bird

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back