• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for new Tripod Head (1 Viewer)

Chris.S

Hi

Recently got a new tripod (Manfrotto 055) and i got a 128rc head which turns out is not what i'm after.

Having searched for quite some time looking for a certain type of head, i can't seem to find many, if any. I'm after something "like" this .

The closest thing i've found is this.

Is it just me or are there not many similar tripod heads like that? Also budget wise i'd say maybe £100, i'd consider going a little higher, but not much.

Thanks
Chris.

Hi

Recently got a new tripod (Manfrotto 055) and i got a 128rc head which turns out is not what i'm after.

Having searched for quite some time looking for a certain type of head, i can't seem to find many, if any. I'm after something "like" this .

The closest thing i've found is this.

Is it just me or are there not many similar tripod heads like that? Also budget wise i'd say maybe £100, i'd consider going a little higher, but not much.

Thanks
Chris.

Not following you. Why don't you just order the type of head you are after--the Velbon PH 157--in the first link? It's what I use with my KOWA 883, and I recommend it.

I should have mentioned i already own it and it doesn't fit the tripod, which is why i was asking :p Just knowing what to look for would help, nothing seems to be similar to it.

Cheers
Chris.

I may be wrong but, if memory serves, doesn't most of the Manfrotto range of tripods work with both 3/8 and 1/4 threaded heads? I used to have an 055 XB pro and I think it had this feature - my Manfrotto mono pod certainly does. Look at the thread that the head attaches to and it should have an outer sleeve (3/8 thread) that slides down revealing a 1/4 thread which may fit the Velbon head.

Hi Chris,

I use a Sirui VA-5 video head. Its an ultra compact head (around 600g) that handled my Zeiss Diascope 85 and now my Swaro ATS 80 with no issues at all.

Both scopes are perfectly balanced on this head.

The quick release plate comes with both 1/4" and 3/8" attachment screws so you can use whatever option you have available on the foot of your spotting scope..

I used this head previously on the CF variant of the Manfrotto 055 tripod, but have since upgraded the tripod to an Induro CLT403. Are you can see the base plate on the tripod is a little larger than the base of the head.

cheers
Jeelan

Attachments

• _DSC0156.jpg
    _DSC0156.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 157
  • _DSC0154.jpg
    _DSC0154.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 149
hi Calvin,
would you say the Manfrotto 293D3-Q2 3-Way Tripod Head is ok for an Opticron ES 80 GA ED scope
thanks

hi Calvin,
would you say the Manfrotto 293D3-Q2 3-Way Tripod Head is ok for an Opticron ES 80 GA ED scope
thanks
That head looks better suited for photography. If you are looking for a head suitable for scope you should be looking at fluid video heads e.g. Manfrotto MVH500AH or 128RC

hi Calvin,
I think it would be fine, but to each their own budget and needs. Richard's advice is valid if you have the budget and you find a head that suits you.

I opted for this one , Kingjoy VT-3510 Professional Flat Base Fluid Video Head with Quick Release Plate
Thanks for your replies

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back