• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 300 f4 AFS versus Canon 400 5.6 for BIF (1 Viewer)

Birman

I have always been a dedicated Nikon user and my passion is capturing birds in flight. I recently purchased a Nikon 300 2.8 AFS and although I love the lens it is a beast to pack around. We are planning a trip to Nova Scotia this summer and I need to take a lighter lens. I have read a lot of good reviews for the Nikon 300 f4 AFS with the 1.4 TC. I have ruled out the new Nikon 300 VR because of cost. However I have heard the Canon 400 5.6 is supposed to be one of the best BIF lens ever.

Just wondering which would be the better lens for BIF?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I've moved your thread to the Camera and Photography section of the forum as you are likely to get more response here. I've also subscribed you to this thread so you will get notifications when someone responds. ;)

Do you really want to swop systems. The 300mm pf vr + 1.4 is excellent and light ! 400mm doesn't have IS but is very sharp however nikon sensors are just that bit better so things even out . I use d500 + the 300 and tc most of the time
here are some examples:
www.flickr.com/photos/141545563@N05

Thank you Les, excellent shots, is that the VR version of the 300? I ended up getting the Canon 400 5.6 for $650. I could not pass up the deal since it was used only once and is in new condition. So even with picking up a cheap used Canon body it was half the price of a new 300 VR. I was also a little leary of the 300 AFS because it seemed like there are problems with the AFS motor going. I had recently purchased my dream lens the Nikon 300 2.8 AFS but maybe I should have waited and put that money toward the 300 VR.

Yea, 300mm pf vr + 1.4 iii for most of my shots . Saying that I just re-aquired a 200-500mm ( heeeeeavy ) for in hides ( blinds ) So I'll see how that goes .

I also have the 300mm pf vr + TC14EIII and have been very pleased with it as a walking-around combo both for BIF and for bird photography in general.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back