• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-throated (?) Loon at Paphos, Cyprus (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
OK, here's the next one fom Cyprus.
30 January was quite stormy weather and this bird was driven in to a short stay in a harbour by our hotel. I'm pretty convinced it's a Diver (or Loon) and the upturned stance of the beak makes me guess at Red-throated.
My book seem to suggest that neither Red-throated nor Black-Throated visit Cyprus much. Are these pictures enought to be sure which one it was?
It did dive quite a lot and flew around in the harbour a couple of times. The flight shots may be helpful. Looking at it through binoculars it always had its beak upturned like this.
It was probably 300 metres away, photographed from the hotel, as it didn't stay long. The picture with a Hooded Crow in the foreground may clarify its size.
Alan

Attachments

• Diver1_Paphos_30Jan08.JPG
    Diver1_Paphos_30Jan08.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Diver2_Paphos_30Jan08.JPG
    Diver2_Paphos_30Jan08.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Diver3_Paphos_30Jan08.JPG
    Diver3_Paphos_30Jan08.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 97
  • Diver4_Paphos_30Jan08.JPG
    Diver4_Paphos_30Jan08.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 92
I'm sorry but I have to disappoint you Alan!
It's not a Diver but a cormorant spp.sinensis in breeding plumage.

Regards

Paschalis

Thanks. I did see some Cormorants at a distance with some white markings, and also one very close which was almost all black.
I'm always glad I checked when things turn out wrong.
Alan

Hello Alan
You're not the first person to misidentify [is that a word] a cormorant as a diver and you won't be the last. Happens all the time. Heaving seas don't help either.

Thanks. I did see some Cormorants at a distance with some white markings, and also one very close which was almost all black.
I'm always glad I checked when things turn out wrong.
Alan

Did you consider Shag for the very dark one? I remember seeing them more often than cormorant in the Mediterranean

Niels

Did you consider Shag for the very dark one? I remember seeing them more often than cormorant in the Mediterranean

Niels
Yes I did but I find it very difficult to tell the difference. It looks like a Cormorant to me but I am open to comments on this bird.
Alan

Attachments

• _Cormorant1.JPG
    _Cormorant1.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 55
  • _Cormorant2.JPG
    _Cormorant2.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 64
  • _Cormorant3.JPG
    _Cormorant3.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 54
  • _Cormorant4.JPG
    _Cormorant4.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back