• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are field guides taboo in the field? (1 Viewer)

Just carry a Field Guide if YOU want to and look at it if YOU want to. Don't worry about what anybody else thinks. Maybe sometimes one can imagine (wrongly) that others are "looking down" on you because one feels inferior in the first place. There is nothing to be ashamed of in being normal and there are only a few people who really know every feather of every bird. and they should be happy to share their knowledge.

Those who put themselves on a very high perch have further to fall.

Perhaps it's also worth mentioning that in the UK, where most of the heat in this debate seems to originate, there are a mere 300-odd species to memorise, a task that any fool ought to be able to manage with only a moderate amount of armchair study. For comparison, Nancy and I have to try to remember 800-odd species (which is why we keep field guides handy), and as for those in South America .....

(Tannin removes boot from mouth, as he's going to need it very soon now - for the traditional ducks, runs and hides bit, of course.)

Tannin, it's true that we have only 300-odd regular species to memorise, but the bulk of the problem lies with the rarities, many of which are very similar to other birds on the British List. The British List numbers 565 (give or take a couple), so it does need a little bit more study than you suggest. But, yes, it's still far short of your 800-odd.

Jason

Jason

Gahhh .... where is all that vitriol I was courting? That, Jason, was a measured, rational and civilised reply, when all I was doing was stirring the pot.

And in reality there is no way anyone will see more than, oh, perhaps about 300 of those Australian species without some serious travelling. If you restrict yourself to the birds you can reasonably expect to see within, say, weekend-trip distance (by car - not counting the Qantas 767 method), you'd not see more than half of them at the very most.

Essentially we have two wet tropical areas (with substantial species overlap), two cool, temperate areas (also overlapping to some extent), and a vast semi-arid zone in the middle. Plus the seabirds and waders, of course. Wherever you live, you really can't access more than one or at most two of them - let's say about 300, maybe 400 species.

On my trip just completed, I had the theoretical opportunity to see maybe 500 or 600 of the 800-odd species (i.e., much of the continent but no pelagics and no visit to Western Australia), but that involved 13 thousand kilometres worth of driving and if you did the same on the map of Europe I guess you'd start in Glasgow and wind up somewhere in Russia.

Alternatively, do your homework

A bit harsh isn`t it? What if you haven`t the time or inclination? What if birding is just one of many activities you enjoy with no particular favorite? What if you`re a newcomer overwhelmed by all the different species and plumages?

As I said earlier - notes first then guide is the best way of doing it if its one or two birds that you can`t put a name to on a trip - but a bit sould destroying doing it that way if its a dozen or more you can`t put a name to....

I started doing a bit of "Mothing" late this summer - and theres no way i`d have tried to ID some of them without having a guidebook to hand!

I've taken to carrying neither field guide nor notebook, just a camera. Sometimes I'll get one or other field guide out of the car in the middle of the day (perhaps over lunch) and try to pin down the identity of one of the birds I've seen that day, but more often I use it to refresh my memory of what else I might see shortly, and possibly to give me a hint at where to look for it (up high? in the spinifex? coming to water?).

It's only at night, when I upload the pictures, that I get a little bit serious about getting the ID right. As for waders (which are usually in eclipse plumage down here in backwards bathwater land), they can wait for a cold winter's night and an armchair before I look too hard at them!

My advice (for what little it's worth): don't carry a field guide unless you want to. If you can, try to worry less about the identity of the birds and concentrate more on their beauty, their behaviour, and their interactions. What does it matter if you call them "blue ones" and "brown ones" for the moment (you can always look them up when you get home), so long as you enjoy them and learn something about them with your own eyes? That is far more valuable than knowing their name.

Jason and Tannin, I have seen over 600 species in Australia, my method is to do a bit of homework beforehand, then look and LISTEN first, take notes second and then take out the Field Guide. There is no possible way I could hope to go to a new area and identify all those new species without having my FG handy. I do find knowing the calls is very useful and I would recommend to any new birder to learn the calls of the local birds as soon as possible, that way you know what is there without having to actually see the bird clearly and you can also pick out the call of
something 'different' and concentrate on it.

Doug said:
I can't get my head round the fact that most birders seem to feel that you shouldn't use a field guide in the field?!!!

If a Field Bguide is not aguide to be used in the field then what is it for?

If others get worked up and excited by someone using one then good. Not only is the sensible person with the field guide making sure they get it right they are also providing free entertainment to others!

Don't see the problem with field guides in the field myself.

Jasonbirder said:
A bit harsh isn`t it? What if you haven`t the time or inclination?
A bit, but I think you and Spud are both right. It seems to me the optimum approach is firstly to take comprehensive notes and then check those against your field guide (in the field). That will highlight what you've missed and, if the bird hasn't flown, give you a chance of double checking.

On the other hand you will really do yourself a favour if you do as much homework as you can first. It certainly saves time in the field and I'd say it's the only way of getting to grips with some birds e.g. the Herring/LBB Gull complex (for which field guides are not really adequate).

But, like you say, it depends what you want and how far you're prepared to go.

Jason

I must admit to liking the Macmillan guide for the field - and why didn't I take it out of my rucksack today!!!!

I guess there are some advantages to birding by myself or with my wife - we don't know about such silly things. Bird in a way that you are comfortable with. I like having a guide along, and if I don't have one, it's simply because I forgot it. Actually, it's sad to hear that there may be folks who set the tone for "correct birding." Too darn many people who worry about what other folks do, IMHO.

Clear skies, Alan

AlanFrench said:
I guess there are some advantages to birding by myself or with my wife - we don't know about such silly things. Bird in a way that you are comfortable with. I like having a guide along, and if I don't have one, it's simply because I forgot it. Actually, it's sad to hear that there may be folks who set the tone for "correct birding." Too darn many people who worry about what other folks do, IMHO.

Clear skies, Alan

Well said,Alan and I agree completely.
If you haven't already been formally welcomed to Birdforum,then let me now do it!
Hope you enjoy exchanging views and information on this site!

Grousemore said:
Well said,Alan and I agree completely.
If you haven't already been formally welcomed to Birdforum,then let me now do it!
Hope you enjoy exchanging views and information on this site!

Thanks. I hope so too.

Clear skies, Alan

Yep - have field guide, will bird. I have yet to meet a snooty birder in this country, although I expect we have the odd one. The ones who are really knowledgable do not carry guides, but certainly I have never heard anyone ridiculed for carrying one and everywhere I go I see people using them. We amateurs have no shame!

I carry a field guide, and use it, and loan it to other birders in the hide. Its very useful to show new birders what they are looking at and how to ID it.
The one I carry is an "AA book of British & European Birds" I think. I like it anyway!.

I have just come across this thread and a phrase comes to mind, "If in doubt, get it out".

I always carry one. I have a guess (I hate to say educated!) and sometimes get it right, but very often find I am leafing through the pages for inspiration. I also ask around in hides etc., for the opinion of others, who are always willing to help. You soon come to realise that not everyone has a photographic memory like you imagine they have. I was at Marshside near Southport a while ago, there were about 8 people in the hide when someone spotted a bird of prey in the distance (it was a long way away). Over the next ten minutes it was everything from a kestrel to a Peregrine, male/female/juvenile and every combination thereof. I am still not sure what it was but I am gratified that I am not the only one.

Dave

Who cares?
I certainly don't. I am pretty new at this and I have a whole lot of trouble where i live in North Carolina, having just moved here last year from New Jersey. We have all kinds of warblers here and and at first glance they all look alike. For instance Palm and Yellow-rumped warbler, Pine, Prairie, and Palm warbler. Heck, if you don't know what to look for, you could even mistake it for a Gold Finch or the other way around. Anyway, I carry one in the car, and on my kitchen table. And I am not afraid to use and show that I don't know nothing yet.
By the way, I went to K-Mart 2weeks ago and bought all kinds of Flower and Veggie seeds. It was pretty cool so i put of planting until today and was pretty surprised that a pair of Carolina Wrens build a nest in the pail where i stored the seed. Guess i have to go back to K-Mart and spend another $20 bucks.
Anyway
Have a good birding day
Gunter
Jax,North Carolina

If the guide is embarrassing, don't go where crowds of birders go. There are plenty of areas where you can wonder alone. Not maybe the best sites, but no harassment.

I guess it's just experienced birders status, "I don't need to carry that lost weight while I'm out birding", in my opinion a pretentious attitude. They don't want to know they are wrong when they actually are, they just want to show the rest how smart they are. I've been a few times pretentious enough not to carry my Stiles while birding my local patch in Costa Rica. Usually that's a good way to attract rare inmature females around. So many times I regreted leaving the books at home!
But of course there will be always someone thinking he's the best and willing to show the rest his self-sufficiency. Good for him!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back