• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown songster - California (1 Viewer)

Robin Edwards

This one is more of a long shot as bird was comparatively distant and not ideal for photography to say the least.

The bird was sat up singing from the salt marshes at Playa del Rey, LA and to my ear being a Brit, sounded just like a Corn Bunting with a jangle not unlike a shaking of keys.

I don't have a Western Sibley guide to hand so thought I'd offer up the challenge. The second image suggests a a long bill suggesting something like Dickcissel which I'm not familiar with by the way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Robin

Attachments

• Unknown_sp1b_020709.jpg
    Unknown_sp1b_020709.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Unknown_sp2b_020709.jpg
    Unknown_sp2b_020709.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 81
From the distant photos and the location, where it is sitting etc...I would also agree...song sparrow. Real abundant in the US and real obvious the spot on chest as John stated...

Posture, streaking, breast spot, song description, tail length, habitat, all look reasonable for song sparrow, but yeah it's hard to say for sure.
Scott

Thanks guys - as said a long shot with the images here.

I agree that Song Sparrows is the commonest sparrow likely at this spot but I questioned my initial diagnosis when a local patch-birder present yesterday declared that the song I was hearing was not song sparrow ??

Can anyone point me at a url where I can familiarise myself with the song ?

many thanks
Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back