• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie ques...or pls redirect to ans. (1 Viewer)

Cisco Kid

I have begun feeding birds here in my backyard near Vancouver, BC Canada. We have lots of the usual, I guess.....northern flickers, varied thrushes, stellar jays, towies, etc....

But the bigger birds seem too dominating for the little birds and certainly get the lions share of the seeds.... Would someone pls direct me to a plan or idea for a feeder that would favour the little sparrows etc. I could add that to the ordinary feeders I have.

Also, they have gone through 30 pounds of seeds and 20 or so suet blocks in a little over 4 weeks. Am I doing too much?

Hi Cisco Kid and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

There are various things you can try and I'm sure you'll get some ideas coming in. This is one http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/543947/ppuser/128005 you might think about.;) Though you can get 'proper' ones made of metal.

It might help if you give us some idea of the set up you currently have.

Hi Cisco Kid and a warm welcome to you from Myrtle Beach :t:

That sounds like what I was going through. That is until I got me some "squirrel buster" feeder. They have different sizes and the smaller ones work great for the little guys but the weight of the bigger birds closes the feeding ports. I also have a few of the larger ones. They work great.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Thirty pounds of a premium commercial mix of three kinds of millet, wheat, sunflower seeds, and peanuts. It does not contain corn, which I believe is used as as less-than-premium filler in other blends.

Right now it is minus 5 C. and icy snow covered...so I would like to keep the little fellows well fed. By the end of winter I will have fed them $80 Cdn of seeds and another $50 or so in suet blocks. But it is worth it to watch them.

I have found one solution to getting the little ones fed. I have a bowl on a table under the window. The larger birds are too timid to land there, as they can see into the house and become alarmed. The little sparrows etc. are there feeding out of sight.

My goodness. Yes, you are right. The real premium mix at $4 US per kilo would have me up to $64 Cdn per month for seeds alone.....plus $25 for suet blocks.
But right now we are really enjoying the birds.
Northern Flicker
Stellar Jay
Varied Thrush
Junko
Towie
Sparrow
Chickadee
occasionally the raven pair that have the local territory.
Last year all the action attracted a Cooper's Hawk out of the forest next door...very pretty.

Quite a few birds on your list I would love to see, eg. Steller´s Jay, Varied Thrush or the Spotted Towhee.
I have to correct myself, 4.19 Euro = 6.31 Can. $
But more important than the price is the seeds in such mix.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back