• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Managing A Small Wildlife Estate UK (1 Viewer)

Mark Etheridge

Bird Shooter (With A Camera)
Hi Folks

My Brother-in-law has recently purchased a converted country Mill in NE Aberdeenshire and has asked me to oversee the management of the estate to make it wildlife friendly.

What we have is an estate extending to about 8 acres, comprising a narrow strip of river valley which was converted many years ago to contain three small lochs to power the mill, and lined with mature tree plantations of many different types. A quick bird survey one afternoon last month showed most of the usual mixed woodland species to be expected in NE Scotland, plus Red Squirrel and evidence of Roe Deer in the area.

The estate is surrounded by both arable and animal farming, and is something of an oasis in an area of bare fields.

Although I am a keen bird photographer and watcher, I am a bit stumped where to start on this. I have the e-mail address of the RSPB NE Scotland Conservation Officer and will be writing to him soon, but who else is available to give advice?

Also does anyone know a good source of bird nestboxes - I estimate we could erect 20+ of different types, but I haven't so far found anyone giving bulk discounts on such an order.

All advice gratefully received....;)

What Mark said! Wow!

Looking after and managing 8 acres is a lot of work!

I wouldn't be in any hurry to make changes.

I'd start by mapping out all the habitat and noting areas which could be improved for key species - remember every nature reserve in the country (apart from coastal cliffs perhaps) is managed to some degree. Perhaps fell some of the older trees to make clearings and allow an understorey to grow or, depending on the type of trees, coppice and sell the timber or start up a charcoal making business.

As far as nest boxes are concerned try getting some scrap timber from somewhere and approaching your local cub / scout troops to knock up some nest boxes.

Just to give you an idea of what is involved, you will find some photos here.

As you can see, the pathways around the lochs are clear, and there is plenty of understorey to be going along with. The lochs are, however, becoming somewhat reed-choked - we were told by the sellers that there are fish in all three lochs, and I have seen two or three Herons on my visits so far.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I'm not sure i agree with Phil's idea to fell the older trees - old/dead wood is one of the fastest declining habitats in Britain.

I do, however, agree with Phil about taking your time and getting to really know the environment and what species already call it home before you start any work.

I think talking to your local RSPB Conservation Officer is a brilliant idea. They will know what species are under threat in your area and if your estate is suitable to start helping them.

Enjoy this opportunity you have been given. I am very jealous of you (as i'm sure many other on here are!)

I'm not sure i agree with Phil's idea to fell the older trees - old/dead wood is one of the fastest declining habitats in Britain.

I do, however, agree with Phil about taking your time and getting to really know the environment and what species already call it home before you start any work.
Agree a very nice problem to have. I would reiterate the second point above, first know what is there, so total inventories of vascular plants and as much as you can find out about fungi and invertebrates. Local groups might come and do a fungi foray, but the big diversity is likely to be invertebrates.

As a general principle old trees should not be felled and fallen dead wood never removed, but looking at the photos perhaps all the older trees are non-native conifers? in which case they might be better for invertebrates and fungi if felled and allowed to rot than if left standing.

Not only is the place fabulous, but so is the fact that you all want to devote it to wildlife! Simon King has an intesting website showing what he's done to make his own reserve which may give you some ideas http://www.simonkingwildlife.com/
Would love to hear updates when you can!

Swt

Hello Mark,
Can I suggest that you contact the local rep for the Scottish Wildlife Trust. They have many years of expertise in managing small mature reserves.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back