• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Sandpiper?? (1 Viewer)

I take it you mean this bird Darren.

I don't think its Temminck - it looks too long legged. Bloody funny for a Common sand too though.. what happened to the breast spur and where did the Wryneck stlye uppers come from... and where did the super go etc....

Attachments

• kashmir phyllosc.jpg
    kashmir phyllosc.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 173
Guess it has to be an adult... the pec band is high so it must be the angle that has elimnated the spur and the grey must be a phographic effect!

Jane Turner said:
Guess it has to be an adult... the pec band is high so it must be the angle that has elimnated the spur and the grey must be a phographic effect!

Guess you must be right. It just didn't (and still doesn't) strike me as a Common Sand. The back colour, patterning and lack of spur threw me.

Darrell

Hello.
This is an odd looking bird but it isn't a Temminck's. Temminck's Stint this time of year would show a more "clear cut" breast patch, and the typical black centered rufous tinged pattern on the upperparts, especially on the scapulars and mantle.
The legs are a bit too short for Temminck's Stint and the prominent eye ring also leans more towards Common Sand.
Best.

The picture on the website is annotated with 'one of seven present' or something along those lines. I guess that strongly suggests it's just an odd looking common sand rather than a Temminck's.
James

Adult summer Common Sand for me - maybe in moult since there seems to be a vestigial breast-spur. The barring on the upperparts is entirely typical and certainly doesn't show Temminck's characteristic patchy mixture of dark and light feathers. The super is definitely there, though is very subdued compared to the orbital ring.

Last edited:
Part of the problem is the quality of the picture - there seems to be some sort of obstruction in the foreground that has blurred to white, and it disguises the area between wing and breast. I agree with the comment about Wryneck plumage, but yes, it's a Common Sand by my calculations.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back