• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common (or Spotted) Sandpiper - London UK (1 Viewer)

Bismarck Honeyeater

Barely known member
Saw this bird distantly at the back end of last year and wondered if it might be better than Common Sandpiper but talked myself out of it, saw it again today but closer (and then saw a definite Common Sandpiper later) and have a bit of a niggling worry that I might be throwing away a Spotted Sandpiper.

I tweeted a photo and had a comment about the possibility of it being Spotted, which made me worry more!.

Looks to have a bi-coloured bill, yellow legs, pot-bellied, possibly feinter wing bar in flight, no notching on tertials (not sure thats significant), maybe slightly paler than CS and a seemingly shorter tail.

Apologies for fuzzy photos, distant, poor light yada yada yada.

What do the panel think?

Attachments

• image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image1 (2).jpg
    image1 (2).jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 123
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image2 (1).jpg
    image2 (1).jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image2 (2).jpg
    image2 (2).jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Sorry BH, can't see this as a Spot Sand? Tip to tail ratio fits Com Sand. Legs and other deets? Obviously better photos would give more useful info. But on this selection? Struggling to see a Spot Sand here. Better photos would help and shot of open wing. Until then, Com Sand for me... (But of course I may be wrong. ;) )

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back