• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 UK Orchid season updates (1 Viewer)

Kent continued

At the third site we fould 120+ Musk orchids, quite a few alba Fragrants, and this rather nice pale pink plant.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV30716.JPG
    SNV30716.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 51
  • SNV30701.JPG
    SNV30701.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 47
  • SNV30725.JPG
    SNV30725.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 36
HOS field trip to east Kent

On Saturday we attended the HOS field trip to east Kent, and very good it was too.

First stop was another Late Spider orchid colony, this one holding 53 plants, including one with white sepals and yellowy white petals and another with funny lip markings (bit like the seaside symbol).

Then we headed for the seaside.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV30745.JPG
    SNV30745.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 53
  • SNV30738.JPG
    SNV30738.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 50
HOS field trip to east Kent - part 2

At the seaside we found loads of Lizard orchids and plenty of Bedstraw (Clove-scented) Broomrape (and yes I know it's not an orchid).

Nearby there were plenty of Southern Marsh still in flower, including this rather pale example. We also found this plant with a sepaloid lip which we assumed was a Southern Marsh.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV30771.JPG
    SNV30771.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 54
  • SNV30782.JPG
    SNV30782.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 58
  • SNV30798.JPG
    SNV30798.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 35
  • SNV30808.JPG
    SNV30808.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5617.JPG
    IMG_5617.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 48
On Saturday we attended the HOS field trip to east Kent, and very good it was too.

First stop was another Late Spider orchid colony, this one holding 53 plants, including one with white sepals and yellowy white petals and another with funny lip markings (bit like the seaside symbol).

Then we headed for the seaside.

Rich M

That second flower could be confused for O. argolica if we were in Greece!

Mike.

'Huntingdonshire' Cambs : Monks Wood, finally found a single Greater Butterfly but not the two plants located a month ago that haven't flowered, the wood is very wet at the moment and the Common Spotted's are especially abundant.
Also found Bee orchids at Grafham Water for the first time, probably due to less grass cutting this year.
M

Little Greenys

Couldn't resist another attempt at the Kenfig Fen orchids despite the mammoth drive. I thought stopping off at a well-known Musk site (the one with great views of the M5) would sweeten the deal. As expected, lots of them coming into flower, probably about ~200 and a couple of weeks later than last year but looking good. By pure chance, I met Alan (heakl) who was also enjoying them on the windswept slopes. Knew I'd bump into a birdforumer at some stage!
Then on to Kenfig where the entire path down and slack where the Fens grow was utterly flooded making searching and photography very difficult. Managed to find about 6 plants in the end, mostly submerged, very small and either gone over or lacking flowers (presumably grazed off by molluscs). Quite annoying since the visitor centre staff had assured me well in advance that they were perfectly in flower and looking good - just unlucky. Another poor year for them. Probably best to return in 15 years when the man-made slack is colonised!

Attachments

• IMG_5285.JPG
    IMG_5285.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5321.JPG
    IMG_5321.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5451.JPG
    IMG_5451.JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5453.JPG
    IMG_5453.JPG
    385.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5458.JPG
    IMG_5458.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 62
Just by chance I found my first Gloucestershire flavescens today, saw ophrys rosettes on a road verge last autumn, remembered as I was going by today, stopped to have a look and found this lovely little thing.

Not often that a gone over orchid with a broken stem is of much interest but what about a variegated Twayblade?

A nice couple of local trollii from the weekend.

Alan

Attachments

• flavescens.jpg
    flavescens.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 75
  • variegated tway.jpg
    variegated tway.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 57
  • trollii.jpg
    trollii.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 79
Epipactis Purpurata Achlorophyllous???

As a number of you know i have been doing a full orchid survey of the Peak District for the last three years. Whilst exploring new territory tonight i came across this bizzare flooking flower. I want to say that its Epipactis Purpurata Achlorophyllous, but there have never been any Violet Helleborines recorded in North Staffordshire, and the Chlorophyl lacking variety have never been recorded anywhere near this far north???
Byron.

Attachments

• Epipactis Purpurata Achlorophyllous (Small).jpg
    Epipactis Purpurata Achlorophyllous (Small).jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 262
As a number of you know i have been doing a full orchid survey of the Peak District for the last three years. Whilst exploring new territory tonight i came across this bizzare flooking flower. I want to say that its Epipactis Purpurata Achlorophyllous, but there have never been any Violet Helleborines recorded in North Staffordshire, and the Chlorophyl lacking variety have never been recorded anywhere near this far north???
Byron.

Hi Byron,

Looks more likely to be a Epipactis helleborine lacking chlorophyll (I can't remember the specific name). If it is it's, I think, far rarer than var. rosea (achlorophyllous) and worth getting some good photos of when in flower. What was the habitat like? It doesn't look like purpurata habitat with that level of ground cover.

Good find!

Mike.

Thanks Mike, i will head back to the site at the weekend, i didnt realise what i had found until i got back home - spotted another one close by, but did not do a full sweep. It was growing in dense mixed broadleaf woodland. Byron.

Don't know if it's just me or if this variant is rare in the west country but I've only seen it once before today.

Guided by some privately shared information (thanks a lot) I was able find 5 plants, and very nice they were too.

Am I correct in thinking it's more common in the south-east?

Rich M

Well maybe it isn't that uncommon in the south west. This afternoon I got a call asking me to come over and check some orchids in a private hay meadow and found 22 var flavescens amongst 100+ normal apifera, as well as an alba Pyramidal.

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_5665.JPG
    IMG_5665.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5682.JPG
    IMG_5682.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5642.JPG
    IMG_5642.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 57
I was at Kenfig today, it was warm and sunny. It must have dried out as it was possible to see four nice flowering fen orchids. And about 20 that haven't been in flower. Also some massive Southern marsh, as big as I have ever seen, and the really nice early marsh "coccinea".

Byron.

Fascinating Byron,
I'm wondering how true the colours in your photograph are, was it taken in poor light with flash?

If its Epipactis helleborine lacking chlorophyll (Var. monotropoides) I'm surprised at the stem colour! If its Epipactis Purpurata Var. rosea I'm surprised at the leaf colour. As Mike noted the habitat also looks wrong.

The surrounding area will almost certainly have normal plants of whatever this one is, keep an eye on it and keep us informed, thanks for sharing the photo.

Alan

Bucks Red Helleborine

Three plants just coming into flower two/three weeks later than the last couple of years. Plants are not very large this year and right in the centre of the enclosure, lovely to see but not the best photo opportunity.

Alan

Attachments

• Red Hel1.jpg
    Red Hel1.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Red Hel2.jpg
    Red Hel2.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 107
Hi Alan, the photo was taken with a flash, as it was late evening and the woodland was very dark. Broad Leaved Helleborine are the only species growing in this woodland. No other Helleborines have ever been recorded in a wide distance of the area. I am heading back tommorow night and will take photo's of the neighbouring plant and check the area for others, then post on here. Byron

Hi Alan, the photo was taken with a flash, as it was late evening and the woodland was very dark. Broad Leaved Helleborine are the only species growing in this woodland. No other Helleborines have ever been recorded in a wide distance of the area. I am heading back tommorow night and will take photo's of the neighbouring plant and check the area for others, then post on here. Byron

Thank you,
Alan

Leicester Bee Orchids

Hi all, here is a few photos of some Bee Orchids in a Leicester City park. I found at least 22 flowering spikes in the surrounding grassland. Also this is the most I have counted at this site, so maybe a good year for Bee Orchids?
Cheers,
Dave.

http://davidearlgray.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• 007 2 Leicester Bee Orchids.jpg
    007 2 Leicester Bee Orchids.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 021 Leicester Bee Orchids.jpg
    021 Leicester Bee Orchids.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 018 Leicester Bee Orchids.jpg
    018 Leicester Bee Orchids.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back