• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx-BirdLife Taxonomic Checklist (1 Viewer)

Superciliaried Hemispingus

Eyebrowed Hemispingus Thlypopsis superciliaris

:eek!:

Perhaps another SACC proposal I've missed

cheers, alan

The placement in Thlypopsis based on this paper:

Source: Burns, Kevin J., Unitt, Philip, Mason, Nicholas A. (2016): A genus-level classification of the family Thraupidae (Class Aves: Order Passeriformes). Zootaxa 4088 (3): 329-354, genus-level classification of the family Thraupidae (Class Aves: Order Passeriformes) DOI: http://doi.org/10.11646/zootaxa.4088.3.2

Last edited:
Stonechat

Common Stonechat Saxicola torquatus

No Siberian or Stejneger's - not enough points despite deep DNA separation, at least of latter
Just wait for the version 2.0 (or 3 or 4) when they finally catch up to the reality that no-one else agree that plumage and a point system is enough.

But they're readily distinguishable on plumage as well! If these are the same species on plumage, they ought to be lumping Reed, Blyth's Reed, Marsh & Paddyfield Warblers into one species on plumage too :eek!:

Tit-babblers

Pin-striped Tit-babbler Mixornis gularis
Bold-striped Tit-babbler Mixornis bornensis
Grey-cheeked Tit-babbler Mixornis flavicollis
Kangean Tit-babbler Mixornis prillwitzi
Grey-faced Tit-babbler Mixornis kelleyi

Pin-striped and Bold-striped still here, contra Eaton et al.

New endemic for Kangean. Where is it? Answer NE of Java

cheers, alan

Capuchin Babbler

Grey-hooded Capuchin Babbler Phyllanthus atripennis
Black-crowned Capuchin Babbler Phyllanthus rubiginosus
Grey-caped Capuchin Babbler Phyllanthus bohndorffi

Three way split! Hard enough to see one of them.

cheers, alan

Black-throated Laughingthrush

Black-throated Laughingthrush Garrulax chinensis
Hainan Laughingthrush Garrulax monachus

split

cheers, a

Silver-eared Mesia

Silver-eared Mesia Leiothrix argentauris
Sumatran Mesia Leiothrix laurinae

Distinctive form and now incredibly hard to see, even in Aceh.

cheers, alan

So Coalcrest, in the same family as Goldcrest, Firecrest, etc . . .?? :eek!:

Very misleading!

Most people outside of Europe will probably not care at all ;) For example, there used to be a hummingbird called the Helmetcrest (now split in 4) -- did that ever bather you?

Niels

Spectacled Barwing

Western Spectacled Barwing Actinodura ramsayi
Eastern Spectacled Barwing Actinodura radcliffei

split, no idea why

cheers, a

Most people outside of Europe will probably not care at all ;) For example, there used to be a hummingbird called the Helmetcrest (now split in 4) -- did that ever bather you?

Niels

Was about to write something along these lines, but using Plovercrest as an example ;)

Maffong

Nuthatch

Eurasian Nuthatch Sitta europaea
Siberian Nuthatch Sitta arctica

Split, previously proposed (or included within?) other checklists but I'd be interested to see how arctica gets 7 points compared to the other white-bellied boreal form(s)

cheers, a

Brown-headed Nuthatch

Brown-headed Nuthatch Sitta pusilla
Bahama Nuthatch Sitta insularis

Split; how does this get 7 points? One novel call and slightly different bill length? I can't remember the paper but fairly thin stuff on Tobias et al.?

cheers, alan

Guianan Gnatcatcher

Guianan Gnatcatcher Polioptila guianensis

non split and lump of clementsi (and others cf other checklists), a very conservative position - all very similar though with different calls and slight plumage differences; morphologically conservative so hard to score 7 points?

Quite handy for birders as so difficult to see any of them!

cheers, a

Grey-breasted Wood-wren

Grey-breasted Wood-wren Henicorhina leucophrys
Hermit Wood-wren Henicorhina anachoreta
Munchique Wood-wren Henicorhina negreti

How are these ultracryptic taxa scoring 7 points on Tobias et al? That should be an interesting read.

cheers, a

Grey-breasted Wood-wren

Grey-breasted Wood-wren Henicorhina leucophrys
Hermit Wood-wren Henicorhina anachoreta
Munchique Wood-wren Henicorhina negreti

How are these ultracryptic taxa scoring 7 points on Tobias et al? That should be an interesting read.

cheers, a

And compared to some of the other mentioned that was not split ;)

Niels

A long overdue step in the extinct category: Turdus ulietensis (Bay Thrush) is now known as Aplonis ulietensis (Raiatea starling)

How can you guys keep track of all this information about taxonomy and nomenclature for pretty much all 10000+ bird species?! I'm happy that I can safely ID most of the birds that I have seen and know about taxonomic implications for some obvious ones.
I'm totally amazed by all your knowledge and the fact that you can have an opinion for most of these changes!

Maffong

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back