• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this shark (1 Viewer)

Mila

This is a screen shot of a video I filmed. You could barely see a black shadow and the fin and the tail all under the water.

Attachments

• sharkn.jpg
    sharkn.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 131
Some more details like how far away it was, how big you thought it was, whether you were on a boat or on shore and so on might be useful detail: but given your location and allowing for the fact I've no idea what other options there are, it could well be a small Great White?

John

I'd go for Sand Shark AKA Ragged-toothed AKA Sand Tiger Shark. It looks brownish, long tail and they do enter shallow water often.

Andy

Last edited:
The shark was about 5-6 feet that could make him a baby great white or maybe a salmon shark (salmon sharks are very similar to great white only smaller) Today I took a better video. There were two sharks, one very close to shore practically in the surf, but I took video of him, when he was swimming below the pier. He's at around 1:27 into this video https://youtu.be/AjL_7WpCBa4 I wonder, if now a positive ID could be made? We do have great white sharks close to shore in Monterey Bay and in Southern California, but I took this video in San Francisco Bay Area.

The tail looks way too long on the original pic for Great White but the one in the vid looks better for it?

Andy

Last edited:
The tail looks way too long on the original pic for Great White but the one in the vid looks better for it?

Andy

The one in the picture was distorted by waves in the water.
I sent the latest video to a fishing tour operator in Monterey Bay.

He responded:

Looks to be a Juvenile Great White. Many have been spotted over the North Side of the Monterey Bay.

Thank you all for trying me to ID the shark.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back