• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 8x25 IS binoculars (1 Viewer)

gfletcher

Hi
I have just acquired a secondhand pair of these binoculars.
I have adjusted the interpupil distance to its maximum which seems to be approx 67mm.
Unfortunately it is not quite enough for the pitch of my eyes.
Does anyone know (who owns a pair of these binoculars) whether it is the same interpupil distance on there bins?
I also notice that the enclosures that hold the eyepieces are not effectively a mirror image of each other attitude wise. This is when looking directly at the eyepieces.
Any replies would be greatly anticipated.
Thanks
Graham

Hi
I have just acquired a secondhand pair of these binoculars.
I have adjusted the interpupil distance to its maximum which seems to be approx 67mm.
Unfortunately it is not quite enough for the pitch of my eyes.
Does anyone know (who owns a pair of these binoculars) whether it is the same interpupil distance on there bins?
I also notice that the enclosures that hold the eyepieces are not effectively a mirror image of each other attitude wise. This is when looking directly at the eyepieces.
Any replies would be greatly anticipated.
Thanks
Graham

Hello Graham and Welcome to BF! :hi:

On the Canon USA site, the 8X25 IS spec page states an IPD range of 56mm to 72mm. The lack of full IPD and the "non-symmetrical attitude" of the eyepieces possibly indicate there is an internal issue of adjustment that only Canon can fix.

Is the IS (image stabilized) system working? Is the view through each barrel clear? Depending on their age, may not be worth sending in as cost could be prohibitive. Maybe, give Cannon UK a call (+44 (0)207 660 0186) and inquire about their service offerings!

Let us know how it goes!

Ted

Last edited:
There are at least two completely different 8x25 IS systems.
One similar to the larger IS binoculars, prism based movement, the later and present one, a moving front element, which can be seen to move.

I will check the IPD on mine.

2016 8x25 IS.

IPD 55.5mm to 71.8mm.
But not a high quality ruler.
So 56mm to 72mm seems correct.

Personally, I would not buy a secondhand Canon or any other IS binocular. Unless being given away.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back