• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (32 Viewers)

Mike Feely said:
Are there now 2 Whiskered Terns, or has the Titchwell one found its wings? I notice it has been reported from Blakeney/Cley/Salthouse this afternnon as well as Titchwell a bit later (i only have the free Birdguides details so i cant ssee any details). I'm hopefully coming to Norfolk this weekend and hope that it (and its supporting cast) hangs around till Saturday.

Mike
I would be very surprised if there were 2 birds involved - the original went missing from Titchwell for a day or two, and now seems to have returned to the reserve after a brief tour along the coast.

Karl J said:
biked round to stubb mill this evening

counted about 11 - 12 harriers, 2 Cranes, 1 Barn Owl and a few other bits & pieces so quite quiet really. Not even many geese about.

Afterwards as i rid back up the Stubb road and through Hickling village there were loads of night-moths and, interestingly, about 20 - 25 bats ... small ones whatever sort they are

Was there much shooting going on?

On my last visit,there were two landrovers parked up in the marsh and shotguns going off all over the place.

Although I did see 18 cranes I expect this activity does effect them to some extent,though not enough to move them away from the area entirely.

Matt

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, first post so please be nice !!

Could anyone please give me specific directions to two places that seem to crop up on bird reports ? I would like to annotate my OS map for future reference.

1) The cross tracks in Wells Wood
2) The whirligig at Stiffkey

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Yes hi Matt, i meant to put this in last night but forgot

there was a shoot going on with 2 big Range Rover type cars having gone down to the old mill and some more guns going off further south down the marshes, so fortunately it was all away from the direction of the roosting harriers

but if, as i understand from people on here, the cranes are affected by noise it souldn't have been too pleasant for them

but it didn't start til quite late (there were bats flying about by this time) and quite honestly i'm surprised they could see what they were shooting at

No idea Steve, sorry, but hi anyway

James arrived last night and after a few beers on Fri night with a few Punkbirders we headed out Sat morning with Ilya up to north Norfolk, deciding against Waxham and Horsey (cos i always go there - good call Ilya). Not much at Cley / Salthouse save a Jack Snipe that Ilya and Holly nearly stood on so we sacked it off and went for a spot of lunch at the deli.

Afternoon was spent warblering at Holkham. After an hour or so we managed to find a Yellow-browed (picked on call by James) and then shortly after another a few hundred yards further on.

Excellent day, never get bored of finding and watching birds like YBrows.

Tim

small matter of a possible Pacific Swift at Horsey....

Last edited:
Helenelizabeth2 said:
Great pics, Frank. Is the Whiskered Tern still there, does anyone know? There's a chance I might get to have a look tomorrow.

Helen

Typical, I decided to go look for it on the day it had it's little jaunt up the coast. Now I'm in Scotland it will now doubt settle in back at Titch till, oh let me see, how about next Wednesday when I come back again!

Helen

Helenelizabeth2 said:
Typical, I decided to go look for it on the day it had it's little jaunt up the coast. Now I'm in Scotland it will now doubt settle in back at Titch till, oh let me see, how about next Wednesday when I come back again!

Helen

LOL!
I was on the coast this week! I saw NOTHING! No WT, no Cattle Egret, no YBWs. Only thing I found was a Red Kite at Choseley and a Goshawk (big female) nearby. Here's a couple of pics!
Since no-one seems to have replied to 'Nott's Panther': the cross tracks are really obvious: you walk West past Meol's House and they're maybe 800m further on. The Gibbett is also very obvious! Walk West from Stiffkey Car Park until you come to an obvious Hawthorn thicket (much loved by courting couples!). Just past this there's a 'roundabout' of gorse scrub with the gibbett in the centre.

Attachments

• kitegood.jpg
    kitegood.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Kite2.jpg
    Kite2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 169
I confess I left the county today!!!!!!! and saw a fantastic bird on the coast!!!! - the Suffolk coast, you've guessed it - the Red F. Bluetail at Thorpeness (see thread). :cool: :girl: :D :t:

Penny Clarke said:
I confess I left the county today!!!!!!! and saw a fantastic bird on the coast!!!! - the Suffolk coast, you've guessed it - the Red F. Bluetail at Thorpeness (see thread). :cool: :girl: :D :t:
Didn't see the one in St Nick's, Gt Yarmouth a few years back, Penny? LOL!
Glad someone had some luck!

stubb mill again this evening

rather better for the Cranes this evening with 30+
12 to 15 harriers, at a guess
half a dozen people

1 barn owl in fields behind Hickling church

btw, the local (Norwich - Yarmouth & Norwich - Lowestoft) rail lines are now closed for the next 2 weeks

Oi ! i replied to him Pimps just that i didn't know ;)

Tranquility Base said:
Didn't see the one in St Nick's, Gt Yarmouth a few years back, Penny? LOL!
Glad someone had some luck!

Hi Tranquility Base

I didn't see that one either. This one was a first for me, well worth the journey.

Went to Holme, arrived at day break.

On route spotted a large raptor, looked for forked tail (not recommended when driving as considerably speed), none, definately a common buzzard soaring over Sandringham area.

Very, very small list today, nearly didn't bother posting. 1 yellow hammer sitting in a hawthorn, back of bungalows oppostie pay hut, lots of little egrets, curlews and greylags on tidal pools, 1 redwing exploded from buckthorn, goldfinches, skylarks. Skeins of pinkfeet flew over towards Holme village.

Few goldcrests and party of long tailed tits and goldfinches in the NWT forestry section (hoping to find a wryneck - ha ha!!!)

Arriving at Holme Bird Obs., Jed and Sophie greeted me along the bank and Jed asked 'what have you had? I answered A YELLOWHAMMER!!!!!!! (I wished I'd had a lay in instead, especially after driving 180 miles round trip yesterday to see red flanked blue tail!!! and there was a real chill in the air this morning. Saw a Great spotted woodpecker, chaffinches flying in, robins, coal/blue/great tits and 1 song thrush. Sophie had a blackcap in the scrub and someone else had a yellow browed warbler round the back of pines. We all went to have a look but didn't see it, but there was a little flurry of goldcrests in the sunshine which I hoped would turn up a firecrest, but alas everyone I looked at was a goldcrest! Left around midday to go home to go to work this afternoon. :girl:

Last edited:
Pacific Swift

Just spoken to Andy Musgrove (my work colleague) and responsible for finding the putative Pacific Swift at Horsey on Saturday. Although news went out as a “possible” he is sufficiently happy with his identification to submit his description to the rarities committee. Andy is a very good and reliable birder, with finds such as Fea’s Petrel under his belt. He initially picked out a swift species at distance over the sea. He watched this for half an hour or so, but couldn’t make out sufficient detail to identify it. Eventually it flew closer to land where he watched it for several minutes from the top of the dunes and obtained sufficient views to rule out little, partially albino common and white-rumped swifts. The bird was highly mobile, flying almost 360 degrees around and he eventually lost it without being certain which direction it flew in, although he suspects it flew inland. Keep your eyes peeled….

Hey Ilya

that was a really good decision of yours for us to go up to Cley instead of Waxham and Horsey on Sat morning...!!!

Me and James went yesterday but apart from the cranes it was very dull...

prob gonna have a look at the bluetail today...

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Hey Ilya

that was a really good decision of yours for us to go up to Cley instead of Waxham and Horsey on Sat morning...!!!

Me and James went yesterday but apart from the cranes it was very dull...

prob gonna have a look at the bluetail today...

Tim

Sorry, bad call. Not sure we would have got there in time anyway though...:-(

No, you're right

It would have been extremely painful to have been so close....

Off to Thorpeness now the crowds have gone...

George Dawes' curry on Thurs night b4 he leaves for foreign climes again...

Thanks for the link to the Gtreat Yarmouth website, although I'm not too sure I wanted to read it all. Great photos as well, particularly by Angrew Grieve - his portrait of the spoonbill with Pink-feet is amazing (although I don't remember hearing about it) and the Dartford Warbler at California - I can't remember the last time I saw one photographed in Norfolk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back